Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Building Writing Habits

As you can see on the box to your right, I won the National Novel Writing Month challenge to write 50,000 words in 30 days. (To put that in perspective, most published novels are between 70,000 and 100,000 words.)

It was an incredible experience. I pushed my limits, and I discovered a lot of things about myself as a writer and as a person.

I learned that I really can write everyday. I’ve been disappointed in my lack of discipline (as my dirty house can attest), and now I know how much I can discipline myself with the right motivation. I feel pretty darn good about myself.

The greatest benefit of this exercise is that by now, writing every day might be a habit for me. Scientific studies have shown that it generally takes 28 days to build or break a habit. I always wanted to test that theory. Now that I’ve written every day for a month (except weekends), it should be easy from here on out.
Habits are gifts. They are empowering. I believe habits are the key to accomplishing anything. I encourage everyone to take the challenge to build a new habit, whether it be exercising every day, waking up when your alarm first goes off, keeping the house clean, or writing every day. If you can do it for 28 days, you can do it forever. Isn’t that incredible?

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Teralyn! That's a big accomplishment! I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...