Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Meteor Shower Tonight

A writer feeds off of inspiration. Every writer should explore, be adventurous, learn, and eventually come to the same conclusion: the world is an incredible place.

A meteor shower is one of nature's most fantastic miracles. Tonight there's going to be a one of the biggest showers of the year. It'll be most visible around midnight, after the moon sets and its light stops blocking the view. I'm not going to miss it for the world.

This shower will have dozens of meteors per hour. It'll peak to 100 an hour at around 5 a.m. CST. The America's will get the best view, so my dear international readers should find out whether they can see the shower in their area before they bundle up and stay awake until five in the morning.

The meteors are going to fall around the constelation Gemini. Click here to find a map.

You'll want to keep away from light pollution. If you live near a city, you won't see nearly as much as you would in the country. People in Las Vegas are out of luck. I went there once, and I saw maybe five stars. Any light in the area (cars, street lamps, etc.) will make it harder to see.

If you get the chance to see it, I'd love to hear what you thought.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't get to see the meteor shower because there was complete cloud coverage where I live. It sucks. Did anyone else see it? It's kind of crazy when you think about how many thousands of people were just sitting at home, bored and wishing they had something more interesting to do, while a spectacular sky show was happening right outside their door.

    Did anyone else see it?

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...