Thursday, December 30, 2010

My New Years Resolution: Books!

I don’t like making New Years resolutions that I have no intention of keeping. I’m not going to resolve to lose weight or finish a novel or pay off debt, because I always do that and I always disappoint myself. This year, I’m going to do something that I’m guaranteed to succeed at, but that’s still meaningful and will make a difference in my life.

My resolution this year is to read more.

This might not sound like a big deal, but it could be life-changing for me. As you can tell from yesterday’s post, I’m pretty passionate about reading. I know that making it a habit to read more will make me a better writer and a better person.

But it’s more than that for me. I hate when I go to bed knowing the only thing I did that day was go to work at a meaningless job and then come home and watch TV. It feels lame and pointless and icky. When I spend my evening reading – or spend even just an hour reading – I feel purposeful, stimulated, intelligent, and interesting. I want to feel that more often.

This challenge will also mean a lot to me because one of my life goals is to read 1,000 books, and how many of us actually accomplish our life goals? Let’s be honest, usually life goals are pretty little ideas we only write down in a notebook. Making progress on a life goal is pretty exhilarating.

For 2011, I will read twice as many books as I read in 2010. Since I’ve been keeping up with my Goodreads account, it was easy to find out that I read 22 books. So, 44 books it is. I feel really good about this number because I know I can do it, but it will still be a fun challenge.

Would you like to make a resolution to read more? If enough people are interested, we could do this as a group. I'll call it the Double Book Challenge. Each of us would read twice as many books as we read last year, and you could email me when you finish a book and I'd post it on a list.

Let me know in the comments if this is something you’d like to do and/or send me an email at teralynpilgrim@gmail.com. I hope you decide to join in. This could be so much fun!

Whatever your resolution is this year, I encourage you to pick something meaningful but do-able, make a plan, and attack it with fervor. Happy New Year!

6 comments:

  1. I read close to 150 books this year so I don't think doubling it is feasible. I would be interested in group reads or something similar on Goodreads if you decide to go that way.

    BTW, Goodreads is great. Not only for keeping track of how many books you read but it's also useful to keep yourself from becoming a book hoarder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if my reading more is POSSIBLE. My parents would probably kill me if I started buying more books than I do now. It's a fantastic resolution, though; reading is the best thing in the WORLD. Perhaps I'll make a resolution to read less? That'd be really sad, but I bet my parents'd be happy. Oh, I know! I'll make a resolution to write down every book I read. Now that's nice. That way I can keep track.

    Can you tell I love reading, too?

    Have fun is what I say, and we know you will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You people put me to shame. Okay, so maybe we could do some other kind of reading goal if people are interested. Or maybe most people already read as much as they want to. Whatever. I'm still open to other ideas on making some kind of reading community/club/group/whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah! Sounds fun. You know, compare books and opinions... and suggest stuff... Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Read more!! Yay! :D And everything else you achieve can just be icing on the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to start a Goodreads account! I have not been noting down the books I have read. With audio books, I've been able to 'read' a lot more books this year. :)

    Take care!
    Ana

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...