Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Slam Poetry is Fierce

A writer feeds off of inspiration. Every writer should explore, be adventurous, learn, and eventually come to the same conclusion: the world is an incredible place.

I first discovered slam poetry at a high school beauty pageant, of all places. Instead of a speech, one of the contestants got on stage and started spewing angry words with a rhythmic pulse into the microphone. I was confused, but entranced.

I learned later that slam poetry is a competition where people read their word on stage. Their work is often fiery and passionate and takes on any number of forms. I absolutely love it. Slam poetry is one of those things that make you aware of the blood pumping in your veins as it increases in speed.

YouTube has a multitude of great slam poems, so it was hard for me to pick my favorites. If you find any you love that I haven't posted, feel free to post the link in the comments. I'm always on the lookout for inspiring slam poems.


Taylor Mali, "What Teachers Make"


Eric Darby, Untitled
The slam poet won the beauty contest, by the way. That's the kind of thing you would only see in Portland, Oregon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...