Monday, January 17, 2011

Magic Disappearing Toffee

I love to cook. A few years ago, I discovered a mouth-watering recipe for toffee. I’ve never been much of a homemaker, but I always wanted to be, so I was tickled pink that I could put a candy jar on our coffee table that was full of homemade candy.

The next day, Andrew’s sister came over to visit, and I was eager to have her try my amazing toffee. I ran to the candy dish to offer it to her.

It was empty.

Andrew said he hadn’t done anything with it. He told me I must have put it away somewhere, and even though I knew that wasn't true, I went ahead and searched the apartment anyway.

I couldn’t find it anywhere. We looked in the silverware drawer, under the kitchen sink, even in the bathrooms, but it was nowhere to be found.

I decided someone must have walked into our apartment and stole our toffee. Andrew said that was the stupidest thing he ever heard. We had computers and a TV; why would someone break in and only steal toffee?

He thought that if I didn’t hide the toffee somewhere and forget about it, I must have eaten it, but there was over a pound of candy. He decided I must have eaten the toffee in my sleep. I argued that I would have felt sick the next day.

We had a pretty heated argument about whether robbers or sleep eating was more likely. After a few months of wondering, we finally decided we would never know.

I told this story to a group of my friends while having dinner with them, and they thought it was pretty funny. Later I scolded my friends for not coming to visit me more often.

“We came by a while ago and knocked on your door, but you weren’t home.”

“Aw, that’s too bad.”

“But your door was open, so we went inside and watched TV and ate all your toffee.”

I should have been mad, but after we were done laughing, I felt a sense of triumph. I could finally call my husband and tell him, “I told you so.”

Click below to see my toffee recipe.


Toffee

1 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup finely chopped almonds
  1. In a large heavy bottomed saucepan, combine the butter, sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring until the butter is melted. Allow to come to a boil, and cook until the mixture becomes a dark amber color, and the temperature has reached 285 degrees F (137 degrees C) It is very important that you get the right temperature. Stir occasionally.
  2. While the toffee is cooking, cover a large baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
  3. As soon as the toffee reaches the proper temperature, pour it out onto the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle the chocolate over the top, and let it set for a minute or two to soften. Spread the chocolate into a thin even layer once it is melted. Sprinkle the nuts over the chocolate, and press in slightly. Putting a plastic bag over your hand will minimize the mess.
  4. Place the toffee in the refrigerator to chill until set. Break into pieces, and store in an airtight container with a lock so no one steals it.

4 comments:

  1. Bwahaha. That was such a funny scenario....that Whitney girl, such a troublemaker :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is hysterical!! I'm going to have to make this now!!!

    ~Lynn

    P.S.~ Miss you guys soooo much! Get a hold of me the next time you are in P-town!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahahahahaha! That was a great moment...and excellent toffee.

    -Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if this recipe would work with sugar substitutes (like date or coconut sugar & goat butter)...
    hmm...

    ~Moso/Monica-Sophie

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...