Friday, February 25, 2011

9 Best Movies No One Has Seen

Every now and then, I discover a magnificent movie that few people have ever seen, either because it’s old, foreign, or it just didn’t get the attention it deserved. Here are a few of my favorites. If you know of any great movies few people have seen, please share them with us. I’m always on the lookout for a good film!

Graveyard of the Fireflies: Two orphans try to survive in Japan during the second world war. This movie is beautiful for its touching story and its stunning art. I have never been so upset at the ending of a movie, though. I didn’t just cry: I sobbed and moaned and my chest got drenched with tears. People in the theater started staring at me.







Ameilie: Ah, how I adore the French. This is a quirky movie about an average woman who uses her wits to help people with their problems in unexpected ways. I watched the edited version, so I can't vouch for it morally.









He Loves me, He Loves me Not: Half of it sucks, half of it will make your jaw drop from the sheer shock of the awesomeness this movie contains. I can’t tell you why it's great without giving it away. You'll have to see it.










Simone: When a film director tries to save his failing career by using a digital actress, he has no idea everyone would think the actress was a real person. This faux woman gives him the fame he desires, until she takes over his life. It’s surprisingly funny.








 
Paris, Je t’aime: This is a series of shorts about love and France. Some of them are funny, some are sad, and many of them are incredibly clever.









The Great Escape: “Chicken Run” was based on this 1963 film about prisoners in a German camp. It’s a true story about genius escape artists who will not sit in prison quietly.









Spirited Away: This is the most popular work of Hayao Miyazaki, a famous Japanese film writer and director. You should watch all of his movies (for some reason, men love “Princess Mononoke” the best), but you should especially watch this. It's a stunning animated film that won an Oscar for Best Animated Film and an Academy Award. If you love fantasy, you’ll love this masterpiece.






Howl’s Moving Castle: Another masterpiece of Hayao Miyazaki. It was nominated for an Academy Award (and it should have won). When Sophie, a British hatmaker, is turned into an old woman by a jealous witch, she goes on a journey that leads her to Howl, a mysterious wizard with a traveling castle. It’s funny, charming, and beautiful.






Planet of the Apes: This movie rocks the house, but even though it’s an icon in our culture, few people in my generation have seen it. This is unacceptable. If you care anything about the history of American film, you will watch it. Don’t look at the back cover of the DVD, though. It gives away one of the most shocking endings I’ve ever seen in a movie (what were they thinking when they put that there!?!).

12 comments:

  1. There's a version of Planet of the Apes on the web someplace that's been cut down into a Twilight Zone episode, comeplete with spooky narration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Princess Mononoke FTW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should see Xanadu. Its an old musical w/ Olivia Newton John about a roller skating disco that is opened by a BeeGee member who is dating a greek goddess. It's so sweet. You'll either love it or hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh I thought of others.

    American Pop: an animated film from the 70s that walks through the history of music, then eventually rock music through generations of a family, beginning in 19th century Russia to New York in the early 80s.

    Heaven: An Italian film with Cate Blanchette. She is caught trying to assasinate a man who's been known for selling drugs to her students (as far as I understand the plot)but the whole scheme goes wrong and ends up killing some innocent people. She finds out in jail and freaks out from sheer guilt. A cop has compassion and bails her out by a complicated scheme. They run away together and....youll have to watch it.

    Motorycle Diaries: The young Che Guevara and his friend start from Argentina on a trip up to Venezuela (?) or somewhere on the northern part of South America to a leper colony to do medical work. The film is about the adventures in between and some happenings that probably led Che to think the way he did later on in his life.

    Blow-Up: Older italian directed film about a photographer who may or may not have caught the scene of a murder in one of his photos. I saw it like 4 years ago so i dont remember it well, except that I was mesmerized by the plot and obsessed with finding out if he did in fact catch a murder on film. Great movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amelie is definitely awesome. I don't really remember it because I saw it right around when it came out, for extra credit in French class.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Chicken Run! I didn't know it was based off another movie. I think I may have seen Planet of the Apes but I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Chelsea! I'm so excited about my new list of to-see movies. I had no idea you were so well-versed in film.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Nothing in Common" - the best, and apparently most forgotten, Tom Hanks movie. I'd explain it, but better just to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the movie recommendations! I am always looking for more movies. It takes so long to sift through all the movies with gratuitous sex scenes, language, and gore when you just want to pick up a good movie to enjoy. I'm faving this page for a later day :)

    Other somewhat obscure movies you may or may not have seen: Big, Hook, Life is Beautiful, Down Periscope, Lawrence of Arabia, and Summer Wars. I've also heard of another anime movie called Eden of the East, but I haven't seen it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe I forgot to put Life is Beautiful on my list! That's a superb movie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm always looking for great movies that no one has seen.... my daughter, who is 19 has followed in my footsteps of appreciating movies that are well written, directed, etc... where kids her age only want special effects and gore. well, she likes those too but she's a true movie buff. I'll have to check these out.. I've had Amelie on my list of movies to see, and I LOVED planet of the apes as a kid. I too was shocked at the end. Had to think about it for a while to understand it.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...