Friday, February 4, 2011

Explorers Discover Worlds Largest Cave

A writer feeds off of inspiration. Every writer should explore, be adventurous, learn, and eventually come to the same conclusion: the world is an incredible place.

Caves rock. (That’s funny, I honestly didn’t mean to put a pun in there.)

Not only are caves spectacular and mysterious, but whenever I hear of a new cave being discovered, it’s thrilling to think of how much of the world we have yet to discover. I kind of wish I lived during the time when explorers first tried to find out just how big this world is.

The biggest cave in the world was recently discovered in Vietnam. It’s a network of over 150 caves, and it has river inside it and a jungle. I’ve never heard of a jungle in a cave before, except in fiction. (In fact, I think I saw a Dr. Who episode just like this.)

Can you imagine finding something like that? You see a little whole in the wall, and think, “If I go through that hole, I might find a dead end and then get stuck and suffocate. Or I might be the first to find the largest cave in the world.”

Personally, I lost my desire to go caving after I found out that when you get stuck, they have to break your collar bone to get you out.

This website shows you an interactive map of the cave. It has captivating images, and it’s a lot of fun. This link is a 7-page paper about being in the cave, which is also interesting.

No matter how much of the world we see, I hope mankind never loses its desire to discover something new.

5 comments:

  1. Amazing. Can we expect a blog entry about you sneaking into the world's largest cave in the future?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heck to the NO! I might be adventurous, but dying from getting stuck in the crevice of a rock is one of my greatest fears. I feel nauseous even thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh! Fascinating...and gorgeous. I've been caving a few times but am generally terrified of them. Have been since the 4th grade when I read The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I feel guilty for being a weanie-beanie. Maybe I'll go caving just because I don't want to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is the coolest thing EVER. I've only been caving a few times, but I loved it. And my new WIP is going to feature a cave as one of the settings, so this just gets me all excited!

    Thanks for sharing! And thanks for posting about the raffle, too!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...