Monday, February 14, 2011

How to Tell He's the One

In my freshman year of college, one of my roommates forcefully gathered us into the living room and pushed us onto the couch. “Sit here,” she said.

We looked at one another and shrugged. Not one of us knew what she was up to.

She plopped a video into the VCR that was already at the place she wanted and pressed play. It was a scene from “Pride and Prejudice” where Elizabeth impresses Mr. Darcy by helping his sister out of an uncomfortable situation. He is so in love with her for it that he gazes at her like he’s going to catch fire. As we watched the scene, we were breathless.

My friend stopped the tape and spun on us. “Don’t ever marry a man unless he gives you that look,” she said.

From that day forth, I went on a quest to find a man who would give me what we called "The Piano Look."

I got The Piano Look from my would-be husband after we had been dating a few months. I’ll never forget it. We were in church, and it was testimony day, so everyone took turns going up to the podium and talked about their belief in the gospel. I got up and talked about Christ and how much He meant to me, and that’s when I saw it. Andrew was looking up at me like he was going to catch fire.

Have a happy Valentine’s Day, everyone. Give someone you know a kiss.

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." ~ Dr. Seuss


My bestest friend Ardis Smith wrote a beautiful blog post about how Valentine's Day should be about love, not romance, and we can all find love in our life.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, I LOVE this. And I agree with your friend. The Piano Look was so worth waiting for. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Teralyn, this is so wonderful. I cannot wait for my moment of the The Piano Look. Someday, someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. BEST movie-- and this is definitely the best scene in that movie. Glad you got your Piano Look!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was I there that day? That story sounds familiar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caitlyn, yeah, I'm pretty sure you were there. Good times, good times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow. I loved this post. everything about it. makes me want to break out of my awkward RMness and find that man!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, I don't think I was there to watch this. Which roommate made you watch the clip? Whitney? Grace?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually, it was Jen. Isn't that funny? She doesn't seem like much of a romantic, but you get her in front of Pride and Prejudice, and all of a sudden, she's spouting poetry.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...