Sunday, February 6, 2011

I'm a Finalist in a Contest!

Ah, sweet validation.

At Writer's Unboxed, they're hosting a contest for who can come up with the funniest analogy. Out of 130 entries, they picked 15 finalists, and I'm one of them! Soon the site will be open to the public for voting.

Here are some of my favorites from last year:
  • He stared at his cubicle wall, gray as an elephant’s butt and equally crushing. 
  • Dana gazed at Mike, her eyes filling with tears as she realized their love was as doomed as a myopic possum crossing the freeway.  
  • When Michael kissed her, Joanna recoiled, much the way one’s bare foot does when it encounters a fresh hairball on the carpet in the middle of the night. 
At first I was just going to send you the link and encourage you to vote without saying which entry was mine. Running around saying, "Vote for me!" seems unethical. But my husband disagreed, and whenever he says I can do something, I always go for it and blame him afterward. So, here's mine, and I encourage you to vote whether you pick mine or not:
  • Bus drivers are the substitute teachers of the adult world: they’re temporary, they’re in charge, and they’re usually bat-shit crazy.
I kinda feel bad for swearing, but that phrase is just too funny.

Fingers crossed!

6 comments:

  1. Hehehe, loved those from last year. Congrats on being a finalist! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I've never heard of this contest before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud of you, you little swearer you. (JK, JK! But I do think this shows that you've hung around Whitney a little too much!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ardis, of all people to disapprove of my swearing, I thought you would hate it the most!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Teralyn! Just followed you here from Becky Levine's place. I already voted in this contest a couple of days ago, and guess what? I had voted for your entry! Loved it! Good luck...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda, you have no idea how happy that makes me. I know I only wrote one line, but the fact that I don't know you but you like me anyway makes me feel bubbly with joy.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...