Monday, February 21, 2011

They Like Me! They Really Like Me!

I hate to brag. I know people say that as an excuse to brag, like as long as you say you hate it you can brag all you want. I honestly don’t do it usually. But I figure if I keep talking about only my struggles and criticisms and never my success, you all might start to think I’m a bad writer. So, even though I hate to do this…

I have three beta readers looking at my book right now, and they’re all really enjoying it. There are a lot of changes I need to make, but they’re all good changes that will make the book better, so I’m glad for the suggestions. All in all, though, they have a lot of good things to say. Huzzah!

One of them even said she thinks about it when she isn’t reading it and couldn’t wait to continue reading. The biggest compliment an unpublished writer can receive is, “I would read this even if I didn’t have to.” I can’t tell you how good that makes me feel!

When I first sent my book to online beta readers, people ripped the book apart. I didn’t take it personally because the group I was with never had anything nice to say about anyone. I became proud of my thick skin.

I decided I didn’t need people to coddle me. I didn’t need anyone to tell me I was a good writer, because I knew it, and if I could withstand these mean readers, I could stand on my own two feet and withstand anything the outside world had to throw at me. Bring on the storms, people: I’m a real writer and I can handle it!

I was surprised how much it meant to me when my betas told me the good things about my book instead of just the bad. I had kept telling myself, “I’ve out-grown compliments. I’m too experienced to need validation from others.” Now I know that encouragement will always have an effect on me. It’ll never stop feeling good.


Blog Post of the Day: Writer Unboxed on how writing isn't and shouldn't be solitary.

3 comments:

  1. This reminds me of the "Validation" short film you shared a few posts back. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, your post today made me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Encouragement definitely always helps! I'm glad I could offer some. :) I think it's always important to point out the things you loved as well as the things you think could improve when you critique someone's stuff. As writers, it's helpful to know our strengths as well as our weaknesses!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...