Friday, March 25, 2011

Finding the Lost Church

This is my entry for the Lost and Found blogfest. You can scroll down to read my entry for the Paint it Purple Blogfest.

My husband and I love to geo-cache. It’s basically a treasure hunt for adults. You go online and find the GPS coordinates for a "cache" -- a small contained with a log book in it -- along with some clues on how to find it. You sign the log to show you were there. It’s all over the world. We geo-cached in Rome. Here’s a picture of one that was stuffed in the wall of the Circus Maximus (an ancient horse track):

Click here to see how many are in your area. You'll probably be shocked.

Andrew and I found one at the Lost Church: a building so old, no one knows what the church was called. The cemetery is there. That’s what I love about caching: it leads you to places you never would have found otherwise.

Most of the graves were dated around 1850, and some of them were so old, the lettering was gone and the tombstones were half-buried.


Marquis was a private in the Civil War. That was an exciting find.

Bell died when she was only 20 years old. Visiting the site made me grateful for modern medicine; many of these people died too young. I love her name, since she was a Southern Belle.
There were many graves for babies. Sarah died when she was only one month old.

Poor Nancy. I would hate to have "third wife" on my tombstone. This stone is new, so a family member probably put it there. 
It was fascinating to visit this piece of lost history. I felt saddened by the deaths as well as curious about their lives. I wondered what happened to Bell, why Levi had three wives, and if Marquis died in the war. I imagined Sarah's mother kneeling in front of the grave when they buried her, right where I kneeled when I read her name.

Sometimes the dead feel far away, and sometimes they feel very close. They felt far away for me because I wanted to know more about them, but I couldn't. I hope my descendants renew my tombstone when it gets old so people can at least read my name.

The cache was behind the cemetery up in a tree and you had to pull a rope to lower it.

This was one of the best caches I’ve ever found.

5 comments:

  1. My hubby and I love to Geo-cache! My son loves it too! We have been all over our state and the next finding them! The older cemeteries are my absolute favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sort of obsessed with cemeteries and I loved this post. What great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cool! I'd love to do that sort of stuff, but I don't have a GPS beacon. Although it wouldn't surprise me if you can just use your phone these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so cool! I've never heard of geo-caches before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can buy a GPS feature for your phone, which I'm sure would be a lot cheaper, but it's not as accurate.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...