Tuesday, March 15, 2011

This Book Isn't Done Yet?

During my first year of college, my aunt sat me down to talk to me about marriage.

“Teralyn,” she said, “one of these days after you get married, you’re going to wake up and see your husband lying next to you in bed, and you're going to say, ‘Argh, he’s still here!’”

I’ve felt this way about Sacred Fire many times. I thought I was done with my book when I had worked on it for three years, but now that I’m getting beta readers and doing major revisions, it's going on four years. This is so excessive. Sometimes I glare at my book and say, “Seriously? You’re still here?”

What’s rough is that I got 60,000 words into my next novel, Hunger, before I decided to revamp Sacred Fire. Hunger is going to be good –I’m talking like best-thing-since-sliced-bread good – and I’m chomping at the bit to get it done.

While taking so long to finish my current project, ideas keep accumulating in my head like a dammed river. I feel ten-months pregnant, ready to give birth to triplets all at once. I’m tired of my current book hanging around all the time, begging for attention. I don't know if I've ever used so many metaphors in a paragraph before.

Writing a book is a lot like being married. Sometimes, you get kind of tired of having your spouse around all the time. But you get over it, because the love is still there, and that’s not going away.

My book deserves all my time and attention, because it means that much to me. I shouldn’t put it down until it’s perfect just because I’m impatient. The fact that I took so long to write it and I got blocked up with new ideas – well, that’s my fault.

After my first round of beta readers, I took a little break on my book, came back to it, and I actually got excited about the revisions I would make. It’s going to be so much better. I thought, “You’re still here. That’s okay. I’m not ready to abandon you.”


Post of the day: Favorite Writing Advice by Anna Elliot

8 comments:

  1. I've had this feeling before - I understand your pain ^_^ But it sounds like you did the right thing to take a little break.

    As long as you're writing down the other ideas (at least a couple of lines), you'll have so much to do when you are finally done. Think of the pending stories as a reward for doing this one right :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel. Sometimes, I'm just ready to be done with my book and move on to the next one! But then I'll remember why I love it so much, and keep plugging away. Good luck-- you've got a great book, and it'll be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so right! And it's especially hard if your spouse insists on breathing down your neck WHILE you write!

    Despite the flaws in both manuscript and husband, I still love them both :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo, that would drive me crazy. My husband and I had an understanding that he couldn't read my book until I was completely finished with it. I wanted him to see my best work. Also, I respect his opinion so much that if he doesn't like one of my ideas, it can kill my enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm right there with you. I've had BROKEN on the table for years and my other WIP is going, as you put it, "best-thing-since-sliced-bread good." So, I actually decided to set BROKEN to the side for a while, but I know I'll be back at it soon. There's just too much love between us for me to push it aside for very long. Lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you got excited about it again! And at least you know you'll have an awesome time when it is finally done and you can move on - those shiny new ideas can have your attention! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I just saw that you posted 31 times for the month of March. That's every single day of the month! And each post is quite enjoyable. I realize that I am sort of spamming you with comments, but I keep having thoughts I want to share. I don't mean to sound like I'm sucking up. Oh dear, I'm doing it again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emery:

    Spam away, baby. I adore comments. Thank you so much for telling me you like my posts! That's always good to hear.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...