Thursday, March 17, 2011

This Guy's Got Major Delusions of Grandeur


Some wacko tried to sell his story idea on ebay for three million dollars. This might seem like a joke, but during my very brief time as a ghostwriter, I actually met people like this. They can’t even write a sentence but they think their idea will bring them fame and fortune.

What is this magnificent story idea, you ask? He wrote:

It can be compared to stories like Star Wars, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Matrix, Indiana Jones and other titles in those categories. This is a really great story I have.

In other words, it can be compared to anything that’s popular. I can’t think of anything else aliens, wizards, hobbits, and history professors have in common.

This is my favorite line:

If George Lucas offered to sell his idea of Star Wars, would you have bought it?

Actually, I don’t think anyone would have bought the idea for Star Wars. It’s a good story, but a battle in outer space against the forces of evil isn’t bursting with originality. It’s how George Lucas told the story that mattered.

This is great too:

I will share my story with someone in person only and not over the internet. My story is too valuable to be spread publicly and will give a lot of new ideas for movies and book series that should belong to the buyer.
This story will bring in endless fame and money to anyone who takes it. I do not have money to hire a Ghost Writer and I do not want to die with this story untold.

Wow. I don’t even know what to say to that.

By the way, if he really didn't want to die without the story being told, he would tell it without asking for money. It doesn't have anything to do with telling a good story.

This crazy guy made me think of a great video:



Blog Post of the Day: Agent Lucienne Diver talks about authors who can't accept criticism.

4 comments:

  1. Sigh. You are so right. It is how you tell a story that counts the most. Haven't you a familiar joke told so badly it was like nails grating across a chalkboard?

    When I had my store, I lost count of the people who would come to me with offers of sharing the by-line to their book ... if I would only write it for them.

    Loved the video. I made one for a lark one time :

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUFFsWXaGpo

    May your day go happily, Roland

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed so hard at this. And I feel sort of bad for laughing at it, because this guy obviously has himself convinced he's sitting on a goldmine. Major delusions of grandeur, indeed.

    And yes, that video fits perfectly. Silly, silly man. Lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This video is already saved to my favorites list. It made me giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had I known that I could just sell my ideas on ebay instead of spending years of hard work developing them myself, I might be rich by now. Thanks for the idea!

    *runs off to ebay to sell ideas for millions*

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...