Monday, April 4, 2011

Books I Read in March

So far, my New Years Resolution to read 44 books is going really well. I'm reading faster and I want to read more often. Just the other day I was with a group of people watching a movie I had seen before, and I thought to myself, "I'd rather be reading." That's quite a victory!

Books I Read in January
Books I Read in February


This Jane Austen classic is about two girls of small fortune involved in impossible romances.

Bor-ing. It boggles my mind that I can love Jane Austen movies so much and hate the books. I didn’t like Pride and Prejudice either, but since this was my favorite movie in high school, I thought it would be different. The problem is the books don’t have anything in them the movie don’t, whereas the movies have a lot that the book doesn’t have (facial expressions, costumes, sets, etc.) The book is like watching a 14-hour version of the movie with your eyes closed.


 
Who Moved My Cheese?
Spencer Johnson

A metaphor of embracing change, this book is about mice in a maze who can't cope when someone moves their cheese.

It only took an hour to read, so it doesn't really count. I want to talk about it anyway because it's changed people's lives. It sold over 10 million copies. I have applied it to my life, and I'm glad I read it. 



Native Son
Richard Wright

Bigger, a black man in the 1930’s, is a dangerous product of the hate of racism. We are familiar with the peace-loving African Americans of Martin Luther King, but Richard Wright explores how treating people poorly can have devastating consequences.

I love African American literature because of the psychological complexity of racism. (I’m not one of those martyred, white-guilt people who read it to feel morally superior. It’s just dang good art.) When white people write about racism, their work is often bland and straightforward – they see in black and white, if you’ll excuse the pun.

African Americans get into the nitty gritty of it. They blur the line between right and wrong, they talk about how racism affects emotions, society, the family, feelings of self-worth, and best of all, how people react to impossible situations. Wright depicts an evil black man, points his finger at the whites, and says, “This is your fault. You did this.” It was powerful.

1984
George Orwell

This book doesn’t count because I’ve read it already. I read it out loud in the car as my husband drove me to work. Anyway, I love dystopian literature, and 1984 is the Mecca of its genre. It is the dystopia by which all dystopias are judged. If you like brainwashing and alternative governments, you’ll swoon over this classic masterpiece. Totally worth reading twice.



7 comments:

  1. Are you using the 2011 Reading Challenge thing on Goodreads to keep track?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah. Adding books to my to-read list as I buy them is the only thing keeping me from becoming a book hoarder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've recently gotten into dystopian so I might check out 1984 when I get through my current reading list (which could take quite a while).

    I like how you do these posts every month. It's like a whole bunch of book reviews all at once.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brooke, I'm so glad you like this post!

    I actually took utopian/dystopian literature for my senior thesis, so I can give you recommendations. I'd be thrilled to discuss any that you read.

    Fahrenheit 451 (my favorite)
    We
    A Brave New World
    The Giver
    The Handmaiden's Tale
    Animal Farm

    I also loved Looking Backward and Herland, but those are Utopian.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to be reading The Giver later this year for school. I've heard of Fahrenheit 451 and Animal Farm and The Handmaiden's Tale sounds familiar but I haven't read any of them.

    Have you read Across the Universe by Beth Revis? It's a sci-fi dystopian. I'm also playing on reading Matched soon which I hear is good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Matched and Across the Universe are on my to-read list. Everyone raves about them. I'm excited to read them, but I'm not sure when I'll get around to it. I just went hog wild on Goodreads and now I have seven new books to read!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...