Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Miracle that Slipped Through My Fingers

I mentioned already how badly I want to go to the Historical Fiction Society Conference in San Diego this June, but wouldn’t be able to afford it, unless an via a miracle. Then I discovered Kickstart.com.

It’s an incredible website. Artists post a project they need financial help to complete, such as publishing an ebook, burning a CD, creating a magazine, traveling for book research, and so forth. People donate money for projects they like, and the artist gives prizes for people who donate. Once they approve a project, half of them get funded.

I thought, “This is my miracle.” I could post about my book and the conference, and people could donate to help me go.

I was meticulous about writing my proposal. I planned out great prizes, like signed books from the conference, I heart Vesta t-shirts, a pdf of my book, postcards from San Diego, I even offered to send a rock from the temple of Vesta on a plaque. I exacerbated my desire to go by dreaming about how I would thank my patrons and the amazing blog articles I would write about the experience.

They rejected my proposal. Apparently, they only sponsor projects, whereas my request was for an “educational” experience.

Needless to say, I was heart-broken.

A friend of mine suggested that I resubmit my proposal with a different emphasis, as if my book couldn’t possibly be finished without the help of the people I would meet at the conference. I got excited all over again, but they still said no.

Since the odds of finding another program that gives away money with no strings attached is pretty miniscule, I need to just let it go.

On the bright side, YOU might want to give KickStart a look if you need funding for a project. My husband wants to start a t-shirt business, which would be perfect for it.

6 comments:

  1. Fascinating. I've never heard about anything like this before but if it helps people, what a great idea!

    Such a shame about your project. Maybe you could try it again with something different?

    Ellie Garratt

    ReplyDelete
  2. =( I'm so sorry. On the other hand, you could totally start your OWN donation fund and offer prizes to people who donate! I'd totally be willing to drop you a few bucks to help out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I am so sorry! I know how hard it is to get your hopes up and then have them dashed. It sounds like you're handling it pretty well though. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori,

    I thought about that, but I'm not sure I could handle the transfer of money. I considered using Escrow. I'll keep thinking about it, and I appreciate ideas and suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How about a PayPal "donate" button? That would be relatively uncomplicated. Lots of blogs do this.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...