Monday, April 11, 2011

Oxford Conference for the Book

When I heard about a book conference going on in Oxford, Mississippi, I was excited to go. It was free so I figured only be local authors would be there, but that it would be a good opportunity to get some experience on a small scale. Besides, you never know where you'll find opportunities.

Imagine my surprise when I found out many of the authors were successful people from all over the country. Some of them I had heard of before, and some of them were best sellers.

It was amazing and I learned a lot, so I'm dedicating this week's blog posts to the conference. I'll talk about authors I spoke to, presentations I went to, workshops, etc. 

Below is a list of the authors and some of their books. I encourage you to read over the list and see if there are any you'd like to read (especially the authors I talked to, because they were very nice).

Tea Obreht, The Tiger's Wife
I had such a good experience with her that she gets her own blog article on Thursday.
 Kevin Brockmeier, A Brief History of the Dead
I first discovered that authors at this conference were successful when I went to his reading and heard how good he was. He's written eight books, all of which I want to buy. I talked to him about book covers because this one was so amazing. He said authors don't come up with their own covers but they can make suggestions and they have the power of veto. At his reading, he handed out a list of his top 50 favorite books. I thought was a brilliant idea, and I briefly talked to him about a few of the books I had read.
 

 Karen Russell, Swamplandia
Karen Russell is adorable. Her book is outrageously quirky, and when I asked her where she came up with ideas, she blushed and said they just come into her head and she has to write them down. She said when she tries to write "normal" things, they always turn out badly. I told her that makes her unique and she should never lose that. I can't wait to read her book.
 

Joe Matt, The Poor Bastard
He's a graphic novelist who's very passionate about what he does. When I told him I had a budding interest in comics and asked for recommendations, he ran through the bookstore crowded with authors pulled things off the shelves. I wish I had the money to buy everything he handed me... of course, I wish I had the money to buy everyone's books.
 
Richard Tillinghast, Finding Ireland
I went to a poetry workshop with him, which I really enjoyed. He's an intelligent professor and he made me miss college. I have a love-hate relationship with poetry, but I plan on buying his book because the poems of his I did read were fantastic.  






Natasha Trethewey, Native Guard, Pulitzer Prize Winner!
Ally Condie, Matched
W. Ralph Eubanks, Ever is a Long Time
Wil Haygood, Sweet Thunder
Thomas Oliphant, Praying for Gil Hodges
Sarah Kennedy, Home Remedies, A Witches Dictionary
Michael McFee, The Smallest Talk
Mark Richard, The Ice at the Bottom of the World
Justin Taylor, The Gospel of Anarchy
Job Voelkel, Middleworld
Jesmyn Ward, Where the Line Bleeds
Curtis Wilkie, The Fall of the House of Zeus
Charles Regan Wilson, Baptized in Blood
Sven Birkerts, The Gutenberg Elegies
Joyce Farmer, Special Exits
Tom Franklin, Hell at the Breech
Ted Ownby, Subduing Satan
Jack Pendarvis, Awesome

2 comments:

  1. Ally Condie was there? I hear her book is really good. I bought it recently but haven't gotten around to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the list of books. I love variety in my reading.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...