Friday, April 8, 2011

A Villiage In Kenya for Women Only

I got very emotional when I read this article. It's about a woman in Kenya who was so fed up with the terrors women face in her country that she created a villiage men weren't allowed into. This was very dangerous for her, and for all the women in the village. I wish I could fly out there and hug them all and tell them how courageous they are.

We can all help them by buying their jewelry. Most of the income of the villiage comes from selling their beaded artwork, which has been featured in the National Museum of Women in the Arts, and in many other prestigeous places. I like buying from them better than just giving them money because the ability to earn instead of recieve is so empowering.



Here are some videos about these amazing women.

5 comments:

  1. This is the first time I have heard of this. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first time hearing of this as well. Those women are so very brave. I'm definitely going to buy some of their jewelry--it's so beautiful.

    Thanks for posting this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is amazing. I love hearing about brave women taking a stand against something in their world. Thank you for sharing this, Teralyn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I wonder how they manage to keep the men out? Makes me wonder. But good on them, they obviously needed a haven!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trisha,

    I'm so glad you asked that question!
    There's a video on YouTube of them chasing down a guy who trespassed on their village. I think it's this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meEz3qV_RRc&feature=related If that's not the right one, it's still a great video.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...