Friday, May 27, 2011

Stretching the Idea of Art

Don't forget to sign up for the Favorite Book Challenge Blogfest!

Check out this fantastic mix of genres:


This clip made me think of our definitions of art. While I watched this it, I felt like I was looking at ballet. I reminded myself that this dance style is exclusively meant for Rap Crap (as my friends and family call it). Everyone knows it’s not “high art.”

The clip below features the same dance style in a different context. It’s in a parking lot and is performed to music people don’t typically associate with… quality.


When I watched the first clip, I saw high art. When I watched the second clip, I saw a fun hobby that no one would pay money to see. It’s all about context.

Do you consider this dance form art? What makes one kind of dance better than another?


Here's another cool video I found on Jen's Bookshelf: breakdancing to Bach.

6 comments:

  1. Wow. Love the videos. And I agree with the difference between videos 1 & 2. I love when genre combine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes when they dance, they seem to float.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Teralyn!

    I have an award for you on my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I certainly think it's art, I'd even say of the three, the second vid was art in its purest form.

    Of course it can be done crudely and crassly also, butthen so can any art form.

    All very enjoyable, anyway.

    cheers,
    mood
    Moody Writing
    @mooderino

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're so right about the different impressions the two videos give, even though they're the same type of dancing. Both are quite impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Teralyn, tag, you're it! http://brookerbusse.blogspot.com/2011/05/tag-tip-spider-webs-are-useful-when.html

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...