Friday, June 10, 2011

Attention and Sex

This video speaks for itself. It's a fantastic way to spend 5 minutes.


This reminds me of the article I wrote called "Time isn't The Problem." We will never fix our lack-of-accomplishment issues by gaining more time, no matter how busy we are; the key is to get a better focus.

In the comments of that post, Trisha wrote:

As silly as this sounds, during NaNo this year I found it easier to write more during the week, after getting home from a full day's work, than on the weekends. I guess the weekends where when I felt I could procrastinate a lot more easily ;)

For those of you who don't know, NaNo is a challenge to write 50,000 words of a novel in 30 days. It happens every November.

I hailed NaNo as the best thing I've ever done for my writing career (such as it is). At the time, I was trying to end a three-year struggle to buckle down and finish Sacred Fire. With over 100,000 other writers participating, egging me on, and insisting that finishing on December 1st wasn't good enough, I was able to complete a rought draft of my next novel, Hunger.  I could not have done that without such a determined focus.

Everyone should do Nano - everyone - at least once.

In the video, Scott Berken says focus is the key to greatness. I had never thought about it that way, but I believe he is exactly right. May we all learn to develop our focus.



By the way, I've noticed a boom in hits lately. I looked into it, and I found out that people were linking me in lists of blogs they follow (I have a similar list on the right-hand side of my page). I can't tell you how much I appreciate the support! It's made a real difference.

To return the favor, if you linked to my blog let me know and I'll do an article that briefly talks about your site, along with the others. Hopefully, it'll send some of my traffic back to you. You can just paste your link below. Thanks again!

10 comments:

  1. Yes, it is easier while my brain is still going full speed, than when I wake up and try to write in pj's. Good point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Question: do people read blogs less on Fridays? I was sure I'd get tons of traffic for a post that had the word "sex" in it, but I didn't get very many. This would be good to know because then I'll be sure to post my more boring articles on Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Teralyn:

    I found you during Alex's Fun & Games blogfest. I will always hop on whenever I see someone is a writer. It's fun to follow everyone's journey through the publishing industry's forest.

    This, of course, means that I won't always respond to every post. Usually, it's the title that attracts me. In this case, the word "attention" drew my eye. (Shoves hands in pockets and sheepishly kicks at the dirt.)

    You may not have noticed me. I hide in the back as one of those faceless pics. I am relatively new, and still trying to come up with a good pic I can use universally on social media outlets. Plus, my attorney hasn't finished the disclaimer stating that I am not responsible for server crashes. HA!

    Best to you!
    Bryce

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree. I find it easier to focus during the "work week" because my day has a skeleton when I have to plan everything else out around when I have to go to work.
    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Teralyn, in response to your comment above, I do think that less people get on blogs during the weekend. I've also noticed that there are less blog posts then.

    By the way, I already have something planned for your blogfest though I have yet to write it out. Have you seen mine?

    -sigh- I always hate promoting myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome post! I loved that video. As you said--fantastic way to spend 5 minutes.

    I also agree with Trisha's comment. I find it soooo easy to put off writing on the weekends, especially with all my friends egging me on with "C'mon! It's the weekend. Take a break!" Lol.

    And I'd really like to do NaNo this year. I wanted to do it last year, but I was already too loaded down with work. This time around, I'm going to try to keep my schedule relatively clean.

    Hopefully, everything will work out and I'll get to participate. Fingers crossed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brooke: You can self-promote all you want! I'm always happy to support a fellow writer. I signed up for your blogfest. It sounds fun.

    Christina: Doitdoitdoitdoitdoit. You won't regret it. Nano was an adventure, but it wasn't as taxing as I thought it would be. I asked around, and most writers can do 1,000 words an hour, so Nano takes two hours a day. The only problems I had were 1. spending all my time on the forums (they have awesome forums), and 2. my book was the only thing I could think about all month long.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd never heard of NaNo till you mentioned in this post, but it sounds like a really good way to get motivated.

    I currently have a system set up with my girlfriend to ensure I reach my weekly quota of pages. If I don't write 13 quality pages p/w I put €30 in a jar that is used for taking her out for dinner.

    You'd be surprised how many quality pages you can write when you think your about to lose €30.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found your blog this morning thru the Book Challenge blogfest link on another blog that I follow. I am considering in participating. I've already linked you to my bloglist so I can keep track of your posts and have been looking up your posts from your archives and I can't wait to read more. I especially like your posts on movies. This post about attention is something I suffer from... NO I'm not talking A.D.D., but I do tend to multitask since i do work in technology, but then I tend to go off on something else when I should be focusing on one main project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love NaNo! It helped me realize not only do I really want to do this writing thing, but that I have the perseverance to do this writing thing. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...