Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Getting Groped at the Airport and My First Famous Person


 I was so excited on the way to San Diego, I grinned like a fool the whole flight.

The last time I grinned this much at an airport, it was 12:00 am and on the plane, I had a whole row of seats to myself. I stretched out with a pillow and smiled with such contentment that one of the passengers laughed at me. “You look happy,” he chuckled.

Lucky me, on this trip I was randomly selected for a feel-up while they searched my bags. Then I was grinning for a whole different reason. I don’t know why I laugh when I’m embarrassed, but when the security guard stroked my boobies, I had to bite my lip.

Then those jerks took my hair crème because it was more than 3 oz. I hope one of the guards put it to good use, but they probably just threw it away.

I hate terrorists.

When I got off the plane, I waited for the shuttle for a long time. Someone next to me wondered if it would ever come.

“Are you here for the conference?” she asked. “What’s your name?”

“Teralyn Pilgrim.”

She shook my hand and said, “I’m Elizabeth Loupas.”

I jumped (seriously, my heels left the ground). “You wrote The Second Duchess!” I could have kicked myself for not reading that book. It was at the top of my list, too.

We talked on the way to the hotel about various things, including whether you have to travel to the places you write about. She said because of the internet, Flickr, YouTube, and travel journals, it’s not necessary. I thought about how much of Sacred Fire I wrote before going to Rome and how much after, and even though it was an amazing experience, I agree with Elizabeth. 

Later that day we talked about whether or not to read reviews. She said the negative ones hurt, but it’s good to read them at first. After a while you hear the same things over and over, so she doesn’t read them anymore.

I thought she was one of the few famous people I would meet because the published authors would stay seperate from the little people like me. Little did I know...

Tune in tomorrow for "My First Day."

Today is the last day to do the Favorite Book Blogfest. Everyone's answers should be posted by tomorrow!

8 comments:

  1. Can't wait to hear the rest - I love your enthusiasm! I just got back from San Diego (I did the Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon) but I didn't get groped - I did get x-rayed, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean you had to do the naked thing? Yeah, I had to do that too on the way back. I hope you had fun in San Diego!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool! Apart from the whole getting groped thing, of course! Have great fun, learn lots, and tell us all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow meeting an author on your TBR pile, that's got to put a smileon your face.

    Oh I hate airports. The staff are so much like androids with no emotion chip. I always get frisked because I wear jeans and I get asked what's in my pockets and I never know. So now I try to wear skirts and look demure! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I am awarding you with The Irresistibly Sweet Blog Award! Come on over to my blog to check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Madeleine: Next time you're in that situation, you should, of course, give the most obvious answer: "I'm just happy to see you."

    I can't decide whether you being a girl makes that less funny or more funny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got groped leaving Canada once. Either that or the bald guy with the French accent tricked me. It wasn't bad as far as pat downs go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Urgh, security checks at airports are probably one of the most annoying things ever! And I hope that security guard was a female???

    ~TRA

    http://xtheredangelx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...