Thursday, June 2, 2011

Getting Ready for the Conference

When I went to the Oxford Conference for the book, I was woefully unprepared. I thought that since the event was free no one important would show up, so I didn’t read any of the author’s bios.

To my surprise, many talented and successful authors were there. I missed talking to Ally Condie, the author of “Matched,” because I didn’t do my research. Grrrr.

When I met Tea Obreht, it was a miraculous stroke of luck that I knew who she was. I had read a bio about her online (which is crazy rare), so when I met her, I had something to talk about.

This time will be different. This time, I’ve made flash cards of every author and agent. I’m trying to read as many of the author’s books as possible – not an easy feat, since I only have a month – and I’m going to look into the authors I won’t have time to read.

My vision is that when I’m in an elevator with a famous person, I will know it, and I can say, “Hey, I know you. You wrote such-and-such and I’ve been dying to read it. How did you come up with the idea to…” And so forth.

Oh, and then there’s the most important thing on my to-do list: polish my book.


Don't forget to sign up for the Favorite Book Challenge Blogfest!

 NOTE: I finished making the flash cards, and I don't know what I was thinking. I'll probably only study half of them.

5 comments:

  1. Great idea to be prepared. Don't forget to have fun at the conference as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been having similar thoughts re prepping. I know many, but not all -- and it's nice to know who's who and all that. :) Your flash cards remind me of that scene in The Devil Wears Prada where Andie has to memorize who everyone is at the cocktail party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you are super prepared! Way to go you! Good luck finishing up your book, and have an awesome time at the conference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teralyn, you are going to take business cards, aren't you? If you don't have any, it might cost an arm and a leg to get them printed at the last minute, but it's worth the price. I found that OfficeMax has a good selection, easy to order online.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was planning on making business cards... I guess I better get on that soon so I'm sure they'll deliver on time. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...