Monday, June 27, 2011

Lovin' the Language Blogfest


I have to interrupt my series of conference adventures to join in a blogfest: Lovin' the Language Blogfest.

You have all day to join, so please sign up!

The rules are: Pick any five lines from one of your WIPs. If you're feeling shy, and don't want to share from your own work, share from something you LOVE.

This is from my WIP Hunger.

1. He stood out from the crowd because his face mysteriously resonated with me. It was like a viola’s deep vibration when you pluck one of its strings. I had seen this man before, but I was certain we never met. It was so remarkable that I felt a sort of ecstatic panic.
2. Savvy: Eric cried until the tears dripped down my collarbone and collected in the dip of my neck. I felt a greater love for him at that moment than I ever had, but at the same time, I fervently wished I would never have to see him cry again.

3. Savvy: I was suddenly full of slime, or something sticky like tar. It was dark and revolting and I shuddered as if I could shake it off of me. Eric put his hand on my cheek and said my name, but my attention was focused inward and I couldn’t even see my surroundings.

4. The Ghost: I thought selling my soul to the devil would be less glamorous.

5.
The Ghost: I thought it would be easy since it wasn’t my body and the soul was already dead. As I stood on the brink of the bridge and the brink of the end, everything inside me resisted. I wanted to live. I kept reminding myself that this was still just a pseudo life, one I didn't want. Still, I couldn’t move.


Now I'm off to read the others.

18 comments:

  1. Oh I love it! It's so mysterious. So....seriously, who is he?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that. I could feel the vibrating strings as soon as you mentioned them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Angeline, I want to tell everyone everything about this book because I'm excessively proud of it, but you don't find out who Eric is or how she knows him until halfway into the book. I can't very well give out spoilers, now can I?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like "Ecstatic panic," too!

    On my business card, I put a logline for my WIP on the back, so it only made sense to have a title below it, right? Right. Totally.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the bit about selling your soul to the devil being glamorous. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This has been a terrific blogfest. I'm really enjoying reading what others have posted.

    Your excerpts are wonderful. I particularly loved this: "It was like a viola’s deep vibration when you pluck one of its strings."

    and

    "I was suddenly full of slime, or something sticky like tar. It was dark and revolting and I shuddered as if I could shake it off of me."

    Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can relate to the character feeling tenderness for Eric and his tears, but also feeling like never wanting to see him cry like that again. The tears collecting in the collarbone is great imagery. It shows how close together they are, physically and emotionally.

    Thanks for sharing,
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your imagery is fantastic. i was really immersed in the tears in the collarbone. Great writing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "It was like a viola’s deep vibration when you pluck one of its strings."

    I fell in love with this line because some how the use of V words I enjoy. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I liked the conflict in no. 5. Good sentences and flow.

    The Write Soil

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm very intrigued by your Ghost, and I like the imagery in #3. Vivid!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like them all, but I want to hear more from the ghost! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that first one was incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ghost?!?! I'm intrigued! I want to read it :) Great excerpts!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well done!! I especially like the savvy lines.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovin' the metaphor -
    It was like a viola’s deep vibration when you pluck one of its strings.

    Lovin' the imagery -
    Eric cried until the tears dripped down my collarbone and collected in the dip of my neck.
    I could feel my neck getting wet.

    You have the ability to bring words to life!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...