Tuesday, July 5, 2011

What Editors Look For

At the editor’s panel, Shana Drehs from Sourcebooks, Heather Lazare from Crown Publishing, Denise Dietz from Five Star Mysteries, and Charles Spicer from St. Martin’s Press discussed what editors look for.
The moderator (the person who leads the discussions) asked about marquee names. “Are there any topics you’re sick of seeing?” she asked. Denise said nothing has been “done to death,” which surprised me. "If the book has a unique angle and a unique voice, it will sell," she said.
Shana Drehs said to consider what you are more likely to pick up at a bookstore. What books do you like to read? Are you interested in stories you’re unfamiliar with, or do you prefer famous people?
It's kind of like the Golden Rule. I like that.

Heather Lazare said she’d read anything that was original, marquee or no.
Denise made an interesting point I had never considered; “I don’t look for good books. I look for good voice. I can fix a book, but I can’t fix the voice.”
When the moderator asked about marketing, Denise said the best marketing tool is to write a good book. “The cream will rise to the top,” she said.

1 comment:

  1. Nice, I love to read about what the agents/editors are saying!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...