Friday, July 22, 2011

Humiliation in a Locker Room

Whew! Now that I'm done talking about the conference, I'm ready for a break. I haven't told a story in a while. I think I'll share the most embarrassing thing I've ever done.

When I was a freshman in high school, I had to take PE (which sucked, by the way). In the locker room, my friends and I were getting dressed in our gym clothes when I saw something shocking.

One of my close friends had long scars all over her body. They were in neat rows, so they were obviously inflicted. I found them on her back where she couldn’t reach, so I knew she hadn’t done it to herself.

I was so upset that I confronted her about it right then and there, with her shirt off in front of her locker. “Who did that to you?” I demanded, loud enough for everyone to hear.

She looked bewildered. "Did what?"

"The scars. Tell me who gave you those scars right now!"

A friend grabbed my arm and pulled me aside. She explained to me that when a person gains a lot of weight, they get something called “stretch marks.”

I couldn’t even look at that poor girl all day.

4 comments:

  1. Oh. My. Gosh. I would have felt horrible.

    You have to hope though that your friend knew you had the best intentions in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is embarrassing! But in retrospect, it showed how you cared enough about the girl to worry about potential abuse problems. Still, it was embarrassing for both of you. :-S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh - that's awful. Poor you. Poor her. At least your moment came from concern though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's why i always changed hiding in the corner... i wasn't fat, but i had stretch marks and big boobs... you meant well. If that were me, I would have been embarrassed, but not mad.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...