Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A Little Bit of Culture Shock

My aunt and uncle moved from Utah to Tennessee when he graduated from medical school. Utah is full of nothing but white republican Latter-Day Saints, so my aunt wasn’t used to being around people who were different from her.

At the time, a popular kind of pants called "knickers" was popular. They went past the knee but didn’t go down to the ankle, and my uncle thought they looked ridiculous (I have to agree). My aunt insisted they were popular.

"Yeah right," he said. "I've never seen anyone wear them."

Shortly after moving to Tennessee, they were in line for a movie behind a group of African Americans. One of them wore the kind of pants my aunt liked. She was excited that she had the opportunity to prove her husband wrong, so she tugged on his sleeve, pointed at them, and, loud enough that everyone could hear, said:

“Look, Steve. Knickers!”

He tried to shush her up before the African Americans heard, but she thought he was just trying to prevent an argument, so she continued to point. It wasn’t until they were out of earshot that he explained her mistake.




By the way, a terrible thing happened to me. I read the most amazing article online by an author and thought, "Wow, this is a fascinating woman! I should see if she'd do an interview on my blog just so I have the chance to talk to her."

Her name sounded familiar. Come to find out, she was at the conference. So I could have met her in person.

*head desk, head desk, head desk*

Moral of the story: know your genre! Do your research to find out who's who and what's what.

5 comments:

  1. Ha! What a charming story. I love your aunts innocence. It's beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! Oh, dear. That's quite a story. I can't imagine the look on your aunt's face when he explained.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The poor woman. The poor husband. I wonder what the kids thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seeing as I'm not afraid to look stupid... I don't get what the mistake was. XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. That poor, sweet woman. My grandmother is the same way, and it's so easy to make her cry, too.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...