Friday, July 8, 2011

Making Friends at One in the Morning

The last event of the night was a reading of sex scenes, which I didn’t go to. I felt bad missing out on anything at the conference, but… well…

I didn’t have anything else to do, but I didn’t want to go to bed. Originally, I had this vision that at the end of each day I would collapse on my bed in blissful exhaustion, and I wasn’t tired enough for that.

I’m a huge fan of SARK, and she likes to go on Miracle Walks. Before she starts her walk, she puts her hands out and says, “Miracle, find me now!” and keeps her eyes open for discoveries. Cute, isn’t it? I like the idea of not always forcing things to happen, but just being open.

I sat on a couch in the lobby and waited.

After chatting with some non-conference people for about twenty minutes, I saw a group of six writers sit down across the room. Two of those women were bestselling authors Michelle Moran and Kate Quinn.

I practically skipped my way over to them.

The first thing Kate said to me when I met her was, “Your dress is phenomenal!” I liked her instantly.

She writes about ancient Rome, and she knows a ton about their history. One of the characters in her book Mistress of Rome is a Vestal Virgin, which is what my book is about. I’ve read it since then, and I really enjoyed her depiction of them.

Our group talked until one o’clock in the morning. It was amazing! The women were fun and fascinating, and I made some great friends. We discussed history, marketing, and life in general. I can’t remember the last time I sat in a group of people and just talked.

It was one of the highlights of my trip.

At one point I realized I would get hardly any sleep and I had a pitch session in the morning, but I couldn’t leave. It was a great way to end a great day.

5 comments:

  1. I think you may be a bit of a revisionist historian in this one -- I swear it was after two before we left that lobby. Will agree on this -- a good time was had by all and a very special conference memory was made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still mad at myself for leaving the group about 11. I had a pitch the next morning, too, and was worried about being too tired. So wish I had stayed put!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sophie-I left before everyone else b/c of my pitch in the morning. I might as well have stayed... I only would have lost an extra hour.

    Julianne-I'm sure you needed your sleep! Pitching isn't the easiest thing to do, so you don't want to be too tired.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like the conference was all and more than you had hoped. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dress WAS phenomenal. I was jealous. :D That was a fun night!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...