Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A Virus is Playing Pranks on Me

The craziest thing happened to me today. I was working on a chapter of my book – and this chapter is leaps and bounds better than all the other chapters, by the way. It’s pretty much my magnum opus. I was editing it through my Dropbox account, and I had just added over 1,000 words.

As soon as I closed the document, a bubble popped up that said the chapter had been deleted. My heart stopped. I went into my account and saw it was just a document that had the title of the chapter, then “deleted” written next to it. I opened the document, and it read “Just kidding.”

Basically, someone hacked into my account and made me think I had deleted my work when I hadn't.

Even though it was a complete invasion of privacy, I have to admit, it was pretty funny.

It made me realize how vulnerable our computers can be. I was lucky and got a nice virus, but I just as easily could have got a virus that was malicious. I heard of this one prank where you get an email with an attachment called “Life is Beautiful.” You open it and a bubble pops up that says, “All your documents are being deleted. Life is no longer beautiful.”

I’ll be sure to back up all my documents from now on.

EPILOGE: A few hours after I wrote this article, I found out that my husband went into my Dropbox account from our home computer and decided to play a prank on me. What a twerp. 

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you didn't lose your work! (What's Dropbox, BTW?). My son-in-law had me so paranoid about losing my MS the other day (when I told him I had over 200 pages, he totally grilled me on how it was saved) that it's now saved on my hard drive and 2 different flash drives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a few of my documents packed up to my email and on a CD somewhere... I need to do better than that. I really want a flash drive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you didn't lose your work, but my gosh, that is a fear that plagues me often! I never seem to back things up as much as I need to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two words: Flash drive. And I hope you "deleted" your hubby to the couch as punishment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My jaw dropped when I read this...first at the thought of someone losing 1000 words, and then that your hubby played such a "funny" prank.

    So, what are you going to do to pay him back? (I LOVE April Fools day and pranks so I hope you have something great planned!)

    Christi Corbett

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should have explained what Dropbox is! It's a folder that you can access from any computer in the world. You don't have to worry about carrying your flashdrive everywhere and updating it constantly and backing it up incase you lose it. It feels like I'm at home no matter where I go. I love it!

    Go to Dropbox.com for more info.

    I like to back-up my work by emailing it to myself on several accounts. That way I can access it anywhere, and the only way it would get deleted would be if the internet crashed, or if armageddon hit.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...