Friday, August 26, 2011

A Woman Living Without Mirrors

This story inspired me and I hope it inspires you too:

Kjerstin Gruys was engaged to be married when she realized her appearance was becoming an obsession. She had bought a beautiful wedding dress, then stared at herself wearing it for so long that she ended up hating it. She had to buy a new one.


Pretty much every woman knows what this is like. Most of us spend excessive amounts of time staring, scrutinizing, and inwardly criticizing our appearance.

Kjerstin decided to say NO!

For the next year, she refuses to look in a mirror. That includes her wedding day.

I love this because she's actively thinking about our culture and trying to improve it by being creative... and adventurous! No one's done this before.

As writers -- no, as human beings, but especially as writers -- we should constantly keep our eyes open for opportunities to experiment. I want to do something crazy like this. I admire what she's trying to do and I know it'll make a difference. Isn't that what life is all about?

She's logging her experience in her blog, and I can't wait to read it from beginning to end.

12 comments:

  1. Wow what a wonderful adventure Kjerstin has set out on! How inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, that's crazy but awesome haha. I would never have that kind of will power, but I'll definitely be following her adventure as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went four months without looking in a mirror when I was in college. It was very fascinating. My mental picture of what I looked like turned out to be very different from what I actually looked like by the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder though how does one put on make up or comb one's hair? Or did she decide to not do this? I love this idea though. It's so easy to use mirrors to be self-critical. (Guilty!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't do makeup and I brushed my hair, but put it in a braid, didn't need a mirror for that. The biggest thing for me was I wasn't plucking my eyebrows. I forgot how thick and disgusting they can get! I looked in the mirror after four months and had Bert eyebrows.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She actually taught herself how to do make-up and whatnot before she started her experiment. Ruth, that's so cool that you did that! What gave you the idea?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I get too much stuff on my face not to look in mirrors. XD

    Teralyn, I gave you an award: http://brookerbusse.blogspot.com/2011/08/decapitated-teddies-and-crit-partners.html Hopefully, it'll bump you over that 200 follower mark if I get enough traffic. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like Ruth, I tried the no-mirror experiment in college in an effort to deal with my appearance obsession. I covered all the mirrors in my dorm room with curtains or blankets. I also remember getting rid of my scale. It was an exercise in willpower of a whole different kind. It actually makes me kind of sad that I felt I had to go to those lengths. Thanks for the link. I'm curious to see how her experiment goes. I wonder how many of us who've tried this are out there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Brooke! I can't believe I'm so close to getting 200 followers. I appreciate the help!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nothing major sparked my decision the way hers was. I just realizing that I was caring too much about my appearances and it was time to develop something else! Lucky for me, I didn't have a boyfriend or fiance who was going to care if I started looking terrible!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey I've given you a blog award over at my site! It's: http://writeskatedream-jmckendry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...