Thursday, September 29, 2011

How to Prep for a Book, Step 7: Putting it All Together


You've come up with a brilliant idea for a book. You wrote down everything you want the book to accomplish. You've done the research. You've made a brief outline and a detailed outline. You've made sketches of your characters. You've developed the setting. The next step: put it all in a notebook.

I've only just started on my notebook for Fierce, but I already love it so much that I'm seriously considering making one for Sacred Fire, even though I've already finished writing the book.

Check it out; my cover has a picture of my three main characters, and the other pages have pictures pasted on. I have my highlighters and note cards tucked into a sleeve, and there's a nice stack of blank paper in the back for me to scribble down notes.

Already I love that I can research in bed instead of having to get on the computer whenever I need to write something down. And I can't tell you how much I love having everything printed out and in my hand; it makes finding things so much easier. I will definitely do this from now on.

This will be more than just a valuable resource. I'm going to keep this notebook for the rest of my life. Ten years from now I'm going to flip through the pages and the pictures to see where my inspirations came from and how my precious book developed. 

I guess there's only one thing left to do: wait until November.

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea. It is so inspiring. Even though I am reading this on Oct 23, there are so many ideas here that I can't help but want to make use of them and actually in a NaNo. Thank you so much for posting this series. Please buddy me when we can buddy in Nano.
    Lee
    aka leemcleanhoule

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I will! It's killing me how many features aren't available on the Nano site right now. I'm so ready to buddy up with people!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...