At a bookstore near my house, I saw one of my favorite books – Pope Joan – on the counter in the special order pile.
“I love that book!” I told the book store owner.
She perked up. “Really? You’re the second person to mention it. Maybe I should put it on the shelves.”
“You totally should. It’s pretty popular in England; they even made a movie out of it.”
“No kidding?” She picked up a piece of paper and wrote order Pope Joan. “You know of any other books I should get?”
I had just bragged to some friends about the conference in San Diego and wanted to show them the books of the authors I met, but I couldn’t find any in the store. Not even the bestsellers. I was disappointed both that my friends weren’t being read in my area and also that people were missing out on good books.
When the owner asked for recommendations, I thought, Is it really that easy? I listed off every name I could remember from my Facebook “HNS Conference” list and she got excited as she scribbled them down. When I was done, she thanked me and got on the computer to order them right away.
This got me thinking about support networks. I used to think when I got famous I would have the influence to help out other writers, but readers have a lot of influence already.
Here are some ways to support your favorite authors:
- Recommend them to book store owners and managers. Apparently, they appreciate requests.
- Recommend them to any book groups you’re in. Recommend them to your friends.
- Buy them at full price. I try to buy from small bookstores instead of chains. If I have to buy books online, I prefer to buy from actual stores instead of Amazon or Half.com.
- Give them positive ratings on Goodreads, Amazon, Barnes and Nobles, and Powells.
- Post that you liked the book on Facebook, your blog, twitter, and any other online venue you can think of.
- Send the author fan mail. I’m sure a kind word never goes amiss. Maybe I should send Donna Cross an email since I didn’t get to meet her in San Diego (grrrrr).
If you can think of any other ways to support authors, let me know!