Thursday, September 1, 2011

Use Sleep to Your Advantage

Holy cow! The Design Your Cover Contest was a huge success! The covers were beautiful and I had a ton of fun clicking through them. You can enter until September 7th, and you can still vote! Scroll down to see the linky tool.


Now for today's post:
 
I'm averaging about an hour of writing a day (yay for me!). It's not the two hours I'm working toward, but hey, I can still be proud.

On the days when I do write for two hours, I reward myself by researching for my Nano novel. I'm chomping at the bit for November to come... what is it about new novels that makes them consume your soul?

I write at night, so reading about my Nano book is the last thing I do in the day and I fall asleep thinking about it. I wake up thinking about it, too. It sticks with me for the greater part of the day, and I have to use discipline to switch gears to the book I'm supposed to focus on.

I remembered something my mom told me back when she thought I should be a famous actress. (Boy, was that a long time ago.) She said when you need to memorize your script, read through it right before you go to bed because that's the best time to retain information.

I heard that about studying, too.

I decided to read through Sacred Fire last thing before I go to bed to help keep my focus. So far, it's working. Sacred Fire is the first thing I think about in the morning.

Have you ever tried this before? If so, did it help?

6 comments:

  1. For years while I was writing my first book I always fell asleep while thinking about the characters and putting them in new situations and pondering difficult scenes. It was great. When I finished the book I started having trouble sleeping!

    I am so sad that I can't vote for more than three in the contest! Lots of great covers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard about that approach before, but when I am in the middle of writing a book, I do get carried away thinking about the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great cover! And I love NaNo. =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always study right before going to sleep. This is less strategy than me procrastinating, but it really does work.

    I think if you're doing something right before bed, your mind continues to work on it while you sleep. Often when I wake up in the morning after studying I'll have much more memorized than I did before I went to sleep. Then I just review the material before the test, memorize any last few things I didn't quite get, and hopefully get 100%.:)

    I've never tried it with writing, but I imagine it would work the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've tried it and yep, I believe in it!

    ali's blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it works too. I do tend to work on my wip last thing at night so I do think of it a lot :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...