Monday, October 24, 2011

Another Unexpected Blessing: Mom Practice

My dream situation is to be a stay-at-home mom who writes novels. As I’ve said before, I get frustrated sometimes that I still have to work. It’s a stupid complaint because I get a lot done during lunch breaks and downtimes – perhaps as much as I’d get done if I were at home. Really, I’ve got it pretty good.

The only thing that sucks is when I have some extra time and I’m in the middle of the perfect scene, but then I get interrupted. I think to myself, “Man, if I were at home, nothing would stop me from finishing this perfect scene.”

I realized only this morning that I have yet to experience the greatest interrupter of all:

Babies.

I can’t believe I didn’t think of this before. If I think I’m interrupted a lot now, imagine what it’ll be like when I have kids! This made me gain a greater appreciation for my job.

I think I over-glorify motherhood. I remember one time I was taking care of a three-month old infant, and he wanted me to hold him while he stared at the wall. He didn’t want me to play with him or make funny faces. He didn’t want me to do this sitting down. He wanted me to stand up and let him stare at the wall. 

When he got tired of a particular wall, he fussed until I carried him to another wall, which he stared at. I remember thinking, “Holy crap kid, can you just pick a wall you like so I can sit down?”

Someday, I'll have to deal with wall-staring while my perfect chapter is on the computer screen waiting for me.

Because of my job, I’ve learned to write ten minutes here, ten minutes there, and I can pick up where I left off. This will definitely be helpful in the future. I guess there’s a blessing behind every complaint.

4 comments:

  1. I get more writing done as a mom than I did before. Now, the only time I have to write is when he is napping, and if I spoil that time by procrastinating or using the Internet, I don't get to write for that day. Before having him, I would spend twice as many hours writing half as much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When our son was a baby, I'd be getting ready to go to work and my wife would tell me all the things she was going to do when she put the baby down for his nap. When I'd come home from work I'd ask her what she'd done while the baby was sleeping and, inevitably, she'd say, "I was exhausted and fell asleep on the bed beside him. I woke up when he did. Didn't get anything done."
    They do take up a lot of energy. Later on she was the one with a job and I was taking care of our son. I miss those long naps I took with him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got way more writing done when I had a job than I do now, at home with a kid and a baby. I guess I didn't mind missing the time with my teenage students (I wrote while they were doing projects and taking tests) and they were way less demanding of time and energy than my own kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a huge difference in between working mother and stay at home mothers; most of their works are really appreciable. But in case of stay at home mothers they have huge load of responsibilities to take care of their baby as well as families. Baby caring and parenting is definitely a tough part for mothers; therefore they are unable to fulfill their desired dreams and career.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...