Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Books I Read in September

There's still 24 days to join in on the Epic Phantom of the Opera Book Group! I've put some pretty interesting links up on the Facebook event page and the discussion thread is still open. Click on the picture to the right to learn more.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
Through a series of letters, Juliet becomes involved in a small English island recovering from the German Occupation of World War II.
Most of us aren’t used to reading a long string of letters, but this book couldn’t have been written any other way. People from all over the island told Juliet about their experiences, and everyone had a different story to tell. This book is surprisingly charming. These people went through some terrible things, but they survived it with friendship, humor, endurance, and a lot of good books. (By the way, I highly recommend “The Hiding Place,” also about WWII.)

After 4-year-old Colton goes through a life-threatening surgery, he tells his parents about his experience in heaven.
I believe in after-death experiences. It seems so logical to me; you die, you go to heaven. You stop being dead, you come back to earth. This book is designed not only for believers, but also for the skeptical. The father goes through encounters with his son talking about heaven and why he decided to believe in what his son told him. The book is enlightening, touching, convincing, and beautiful. There are interviews with the family on the internet you might want to look into.

Four rich patrician women experience the reign of the Five Emperors, a violent and tumultuous time when emperors were repeatedly killed and replaced.
Kate told me she never writes the same book twice, and that’s true; Daughters of Rome is very different from her debut novel, Mistress of Rome. Instead of slaves, it’s from the point of view of the privileged, giving readers a holistic view of the culture. Many people compare DoR to Sex in the City, so just imagine that show taking place in Rome and you’ll have a pretty good idea what this book is like.

3 comments:

  1. My wife loved the Potato Peel Pie Book and enjoyed it a great deal more than I did. I'm willing to bet that you've read "Cleopatra: A Life," by Stacy Schiff. Now that book I though fabulous. It really changed my opinion of Cleopatra, who just might be the second most vilified person in history, right after Richard III.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 very diverse reads! Thanks for the tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been meaning to read a book about Cleopatra but haven't decide which one to read. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...