Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Reasons We Blog

Every now and then, we should all sit down and ask ourselves the question, “Why do I do the things I do?” Today, we’re going to ask ourselves, “Why do we blog?”

I don’t believe social networking sells books. We only follow blogs, twitter feeds, and Facebook updates after we read and liked a book. (Do you guys agree with me on this?)

I had reasons to start a blog, and now I have different reasons for keeping one. I started it because:

Ego Boost. It was last November when things weren’t going so well and I was feeling pretty down. I knew how happy it would make me to get readers.

Something to Do. A year ago, I was not a busy person. Keeping a blog sounded like a good way to burn time. 

Practice. I love how much my blog inspires me to write.

Killing Plot Bunnies. It’s nice to have a place to puke up ideas.

Since then, many things have changed. This is why I keep a blog now:

Opportunity. I have made friends, found beta readers, entered contests, briefly interacted with agents and authors (many of whom won’t remember me, but I’ll always remember them), and learned about so many other opportunities available to me. When I get published I will trace the series of events that made it possible, and I firmly believe it will lead back to my blog.

Education. Telling you how many things I’ve learned would take a whole new post.

Social Coaching. I’ve learned how to interact with writers, agents, readers, and I’ve learned by reading from others what to expect when I’m thrown into the big world of publishing.

Friends. I had no intention of making friends when I started doing this. It was all about me. I never imagined I would become interested in other people’s welfare and that I would visit their blogs just to see how they’re doing. I’m connecting to people I care about and who care about me, and it’s wonderful.

What are your reasons for social networking?

5 comments:

  1. Check it out: I scheduled this post for tomorrow and it somehow posted today, on the 10th, but it still says it posted on October 11. It's like we're looking at my blog in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. That's crazy!

    I blog to meet people, make friends. I like to connect with people. I also blog to learn about writing, write more often, become a better writer.

    I think it is important to ask ourselves why we do what we do. Great idea for a post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed the date thing and was going to ask if you had any stock tips for tomorrow--since you're already there! Ha! I started my blog for many of the same reasons as you, and I hope I end up with your positive attitude. I've been at this for what seems a long time without much feedback or encouragement, but now, thanks to my blog, I finally feel like a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I blog to meet people and get advice! I'm not a very experienced writer so I blog for inspiration and friends :) Great post today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I'm in the 11th already, so it's nice to be reading a blog on time for once! Hello from the world of tomorrow!!!!

    I completely agree with everything you've said here. I started a blog because I was told that's what I should do. Hmm...okay then. But now I've made friends out of it -- friends who understand this sometimes very crazy process of writing. My family and my "real friends are supportive, but they really don't understand how all-consuming, or obsessive, or frustrating writing can be. Blogging has become my support network for writing, and I can't thank everyone enough!

    The internet might be full of absolute wankers, but this corner -- the writers' corner -- is lovely.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...