Thursday, October 6, 2011

Status Update: So Far, So Good

For anyone wanting an update, I’m doing line editing on my book, and while I’m 99% sure I’ll make my goal to submit to agents October 31, I’m going to use every last minute I have.

For the newcomers, here’s a recap of my situation: I went to a writer’s conference last June and two agents requested my manuscript. I decided to set a date for when I would send it to them so that 1. I wouldn’t take an excessive amount of time revising it, and 2. I wouldn’t get excited and send it too early on impulse.

I picked the day before National Novel Writing Month starts. I only get to participate if I finish by then.

I’ve been so focused on finishing Sacred Fire and getting ready for Nano that I haven’t put much thought into what could happen after I send my book out. The other day, it finally hit me; in 25 days, I’ll be querying. After years of hard work, I could possibly have an agent within the next few months.

This is a big deal, to say the least.

I’m trying not to think about it too much because it’s going to drive me crazy, but I can’t help seeing this as the moment my whole life has led up to. I know getting an agent is only the start of a very long journey, but from my green perspective, it seems the beginning of the end.

I’m also trying to brace myself for disappointment. Last year, I sent out queries and was dismally unsuccessful. The experience didn’t faze me much because you hear stories all the time of bestselling authors who go through rejections, so the rejection felt like a matter of course. I’m glad it worked out the way it did. I had a lot of learning to do.

I’ll be honest, though; if I don’t get an agent this time around, after all the beta readers and revisions, I’m going to be pretty devastated. (I might even struggle with my faith in God because I put a lot of prayer into this thing…) But! If the book doesn’t take this time around, I’m sure I’ll find out what went wrong, and I’ll try again. After all, I’m a writer. That’s what we do.

8 comments:

  1. It sounds like you're doing everything possible to bring your book to market. I don't think many people understand what it's like to create something and then expose it to the world for critiquing. It can be a bitter experience--I speak here from experience. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Perseverance is the key.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You put so much thought and effort into this, Teralyn, and if it's anything like your posts, it would be something that I could love to read. I love line-editing and if it weren't so close to NaNo I would help you (if you would have me).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys! I really appreciate the support.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS Brooke, of course I would have you. Maybe another time, with another book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a fantastic idea for a novel. I was lucky enough to find your blog while doing research for my own non-fiction about the systematic, calculated, suppression of Roman religious philosophy in the 4th Century CE.

    But of all the losses of the Roman empire I think the loss of the Vestals is the most tragic. They stood for piety, honor, and family, even after Imperial aims destroyed the Republic. Roman culture was not nearly as depraved as its usually made out to be in pop culture. The Vestals stood for what was good about Roman ideology. As long as they existed as an institution, Romans could have faith good would outlast evil, and that Rome would endure.

    Since the sacred fire was extinguished sometime near the end of the 3rd Century, the ancient Romans have undergone a sustained assassination of their character.

    I am glad to see you address it in a popular format. I wish the best for your efforts and I eagerly look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm giving you a digital hug right now. That was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...