Monday, October 3, 2011

The Wonderful Itch

I mentioned a while ago that I got a new job. I work at a bank call center, which I enjoy.

I get some crazy people on the phone. You hear the funniest things between the time the person takes the phone away from their ear and the time they put it on the receiver; for some reason, they think I can’t hear them even though they haven’t hung up yet. People will be as sweet as can be, say goodbye, and then curse like a sailor. I’ve been called some pretty unseemly names.

Once a woman found out her husband over drafted their account, and I got to hear her chew him out. Boy, was she mad.

We’re having a lull period at the moment. I’m itching to write a blog article, but the sad part is, I have no idea what to write. That’s the problem with going through the revision process; I don’t get to do any actual writing. Thank goodness for this blog, or I might have gone crazy by now.

When my desire to work exceeds my inspiration, it’s a weird feeling. On the one hand, it’s frustrating because I have all this energy I can’t use. On the other hand, it’s wonderful to get the itch to create. That burning to get back to the keyboard, even though you have nothing to say, is the burning that sets an author apart from someone who just has a neat idea.

I’ve had times in my life when I was working on an awesome book, but I didn’t have that itch to work and I didn’t get much done. The itch makes all the difference.

When you get the itch, just get on the computer and write whatever garbage occurs to you (kind of like what I’m doing with this article). It’s possible you’ll break through and write something brilliant. Most likely, you’ll just enjoy yourself, and that's wonderful too.

1 comment:

  1. I've heard it said that writing is like a muscle that needs to be stretched. The more you use your writing "muscle" the better it works. I'm finding this to be true, at least with my own blog. Another truth is that nobody really wants to write, but everyone wants to "have written!"

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...