Thursday, November 17, 2011

Books I Read in October

Four more books, and I'll meet my goal to read 44 books this year!

The Tale of Halcyon Crane by Wendy Webb

Hallie goes to the house of her recently deceased mother to find out why her father said she died thirty years ago and discovers a dark family history full of ghosts and secrets.

This book is enthralling. Mystery layers on mystery until I was dying to find answers, and to see what would happen to the characters I had fallen in love with. It's a page-turner that's great to read in front of a fire on a rainy day, but not good to read before bed; it kept me awake because I didn't want to stop reading.

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

In the midst of the Great Depression, Jacob loses his parents and house and falls into a circus where he meets the two loves of his life; the married performer Marlena, and an elephant named Rosie.

This was by far the most erotic book I've ever read. It was so graphic, it was educational; I took notes. Consequently I put it down for a long time, but it drew me back in. The book was #1 on the NYT Bestseller's List for a good reason; the characters, the setting, the story, the pacing, the voice, the descriptions... it was all fantastic.

Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin

In medieval Cambridge, England, four children are murdered and only an expert in death can help the king uncover the killer... an expert who happens to be a woman. 

This was by far the most violent book I've ever read. (It's been quite the month for me.) I should have known what I was getting myself into; it says right on the cover it's about murdered children. I always hate it when people criticize a book when they should have known they wouldn't like it before reading it. I especially hate it when people criticize a book for being exactly what the author wanted it to be. I always say, "If it's not your kind of book, you shouldn't have read it." Ergo, all I'm going to say about reading this book is, "Oops. My bad."

1 comment:

  1. I've read Water for Elephants and thought it was good, not great. Mistress of the Art of Death sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...