Monday, November 28, 2011

The Hated Rough Draft

I'm looking at my two rough drafts, trying to decide which one to revise, and I realize something...

Revising a rough draft is hard.

I haven't done this in years. I've polished third, forth, and fifth drafts, and I had critique partners and beta readers to hold my hand the whole time.  But this -- making a book comprehensible enough for a beta to even look at -- is making me cross-eyed.

Where do I start?

I don't remember ever feeling intimidated by a book before, but Fierce is making me want to cower behind my couch. I open the document thinking, "I'm the boss here, and no messy plot can scare me!" Then I skim over it and close the document, feeling like I just ran away from a dangerous animal.

I'm being a weenie beenie, I know.

Revising (for me, at least) is like chipping away at a stone; you gotta do one chunck at a time. All I have to do is make a list of everything I want to change, pick one thing, and go for it.

Alright, I'm going to open the document now.

Please don't eat me...

6 comments:

  1. I'm dragging my feet on starting the revision of my NanoDraft. I wrote a first chapter of something else instead during my writing time this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I much prefer the revisions. It's all of those blank pages that terrify me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate redrafting. It's like wading through treacle. I wish I had some elves that did it for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're already diving back into your NaNo novel? That's fast. 0-0 Doesn't it need some time to sit so you can gain perspective?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Naw, I prepped for this book enough that it has all the perspective it needs, for now, at least. Plus I worked so hard to make a habit of writing every day that now if I don't have something to do, it makes me antsy. I hope I can keep that up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck Teralyn! It has to happen eventually!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...