Monday, November 21, 2011

A Night of Writing Dangerously

November 18

3:00 pm

It’s been busy at work. I found out I probably won’t get to go home for Christmas. I’m on the wrong side of the country. I didn’t write during my lunch break, which made me grumpy. My hip is hurting from when I was hit by a car while riding my bicycle. I foolishly read an article about a writer who has to make time to write between taking care of her babies, and I sneered and thought, Well, how nice for YOU.

I don’t like that I have to work. I don’t like this state. I don’t like my empty apartment where the only movement comes from a fish and cockroaches.

I would love nothing more than to go home and mope, but I can't. On a more optimistic day, I set up a Night of Writing Dangerously in my area: a Nanowrimo tradition where writers meet and work on their books for six hours late into the night. 

That's just great.

5:45 pm

There’s nothing like a café; I walked in and was instantly soothed by dim lights and the smell of cinnamon-caramel coffee. I went upstairs to a mass of couches and found four of my friends with their computers already on their laps.

I set up a table near an outlet and stretched my fingers. So what if I felt crappy? I could totally do this.

9:00 pm

At this point I had accomplished so much that I was proud and exhausted. I was glad I came, and I felt better about life in general.

I looked at the clock. Three hours left. Oh, no. I started to wonder what I got myself into.

12:00 am

I did it. Holy cow. I took a half-hour break to talk to my buddies when the strain on my brain got to be too much, but I worked until 12 am.

And I reached 50,000 words. I won Nano.

And I finished my book. It’s so incomplete it feels more like a really long outline, but it has a beginning, middle, end… it’s a full rough draft.

I'll always remember my Night of Writing Dangerously. Never say no to adventures!

8 comments:

  1. Great job!

    As far as I know, you've never met an adventure you didn't like. There was the museum break-in, the spelunking, the voodoo priest...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on accomplishing your 50 thousand words. Quite a feat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats! And you got hit by a car?!? Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teralyn! Congratulations! I'm so proud of you, once again. Gosh, you're always doing things to make me be proud of you. :) You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your 2011 win!! I haven't done one of these writing nights in soooo long. Too long! They are heaps of fun. Glad to know that the night cheered you up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, rough day! At least it ended on a good note though. And congratulations on finishing NaNo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I can't find my account balance. Can you help me find it? Thanks."

    I'm glad you made your goal even though your day wasn't super-awesome!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...