This feels great! I read some amazing books this year, and it really made a difference in my life. I’m going to make resolutions every year from now on.
There are several reasons why this goal worked for me when other goals haven’t:
- The goal was meaningful. I didn’t make a pointless goal like lose 25 pounds or post every week on a blog I don’t care about. Making reading a habit was important to me.
- The goal was enjoyable. I didn’t have to drag myself out of bed at 6:00 am to go jogging in the cold. I like reading, and I wanted to do this.
- The goal was simple. I didn’t have some lofty aspiration like finishing my novel by the end of the year or getting my house remodeled.
- If I stopped working on my resolution, I could get caught up. I didn’t make a goal of not smoking for a year, smoke on January 12, and say, “Oh well, I’ll try again next year.”
- I only made one goal. I didn’t make a long list, so I was able to focus.
Did you make a goal last year? Are you going to make one this year?