Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Dance, My Puppet, Dance!

Once when Andrew and I were going to meet up for lunch, I asked him to pick me up a Subway sandwich.


"What kind do you want?" he asked.


"Oh, I don't care. You know what I like."


He brought my sandwich and it was seriously the best sandwich I've ever had at Subway, bar none.


The next day I had him take me to Subway again because I wanted the exact same sandwich. Andrew tried to tell me everything that was in it.


"Could you just order for me?" I asked.


He frowned. He likes strong women, so he gets annoyed whenever I'm too dependent. "No, I'm not going to order for you. You're not a kid."


"Come on, I'm never going to remember everything you just said."


"It's not that hard...."


"Fine, I'll do it."


I marched to the counter and looked at the choices. I couldn't even remember what kind of bread to get.


"Hi," I told the server, "I'd like chicken teriyaki on... um..."


I looked over my shoulder to Andrew. He rolled his eyes. "Honey wheat."


"That's right, honey wheat. And I want lettuce, and... um..." I looked to Andrew again.


"Cucumber."


"Yes, I want cucumber."


"And red onions."


"And I want red onions. Swiss cheese, too."


"You don't want Swiss," he said, "You want Provolone."


"I want Provolone."


While the lady put together the sandwich, she asked me if I wanted anything to drink. I don't like soda, but I thought Andrew might want some, so I looked back at him again.


"Mountain Dew," he said.


"I would like a Mountain Dew."


The woman got a cup for the soda. Before wrapping up the sandwich, she said, "Is there anything else?"


"Nope," I said, "that's everything."


She looked to my husband and waited for him to answer.


As she waited for Andrew's approval, I realized how this scene must look to outsiders; like my husband was so controlling, he told me what sandwich I had to eat.

I quickly explained to her the situation. She looked relieved.

5 comments:

  1. Your husband sure knows how to put together a sandwich. I could go for one of those right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also prefer strong willed women but I would have reordered that second sandwich for you, just to be nice. Mrs. Chatterbox often orders sandwiches for me and it's uncanny how she always knows what I want, even when I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear...that server was probably not sure what to do. Although I think it would have been sugary-sweet for him to re-order it for you, I have to give it to your hubby for asserting his adoration of your womanly strength by pushing you to learn what he ordered for you to make that awesome sandwich.

    But yeah, as an ousider, my eyebrows would have been arched. I wouldn't have passed judgment though, because like your situation, there's always a story to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha! That's like my mom and dad: they both know instinctively what I want -better than I do, myself! But they don't want to hold my hand over everything...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you explained. hehehe

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...