Friday, December 9, 2011

Roller Derby: Best Sport Ever

For my somewhat weekly "The World is Awesome" article, I'm going to talk about the most awesome sport in existence: roller derby.

People ask me how I got into this sport. A few years back, a friend gave my husband a movie he knew I would like: Whip It. Andrew joked that he shouldn't let me watch it.

"How come?" I asked.

"It's about roller derby. That's a woman-power sport."

It was at that moment that I knew. I wanted to play this game!

For those of you unfamiliar with roller derby, it's a women's-only sport that's played on roller skates. I posted the USA vs New Zealand World Cup game below... it's amazing. I'll post a video of me at our next game in March; in all the videos we have so far, I look like a noob.

Each team has one player called a jammer whose goal is to break through a pack of girls. Each time she gets through, she gains five points. The girls in the pack have to try to prevent the other team's jammer either by pushing her out of bounds, standing in front of her, or knocking her on her butt.

At the same time, they have to keep the other blockers from blocking their jammer by using the same methods.

You'll notice in the video that each girl comes up with a cool name, like Jenita Smacking, Dr. Doomlittle, and Shanaconda. My name is Cleofracture.



5 comments:

  1. Roller derby looks interesting enough, but I think I'll stick with Quiddich.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started roller derbying earlier this year and I love it! (Haven't been for ages but I'm recovering an injury) It really is the coolest sport there is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You said, "For those of you unfamiliar with roller derby, it's a women's-only sport that's played on roller skates."

    The Men's Roller Derby Association just might disagree with you. http://www.mensderbycoalition.com

    Perhaps you meant...?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, but they suck, so who cares?

    This will always be a predominately women's sport.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...