Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Christmas Pranks

Go figure: I can’t think of a single Christmas story to post until weeks after it's over. Oh well, I'll tell it anyway.

My husband and I like to play tricks on one another with our Christmas gifts. I often have more fun with the prank than I do with the gift. This year, for example, he stuffed all the boxes holding my gifts with old t-shirts so I couldn’t make guesses from the size or weight.

My favorite trick happened completely on accident.

I decided to buy my husband some comfy slippers, the kind that almost look like shoes so you can wear them out of the house.

Due to various circumstances, he had to pick me up from the department store after I bought them. As I waited for him outside, I looked at my bag with the shoe box and realized there was no way to hide the gift. He would see the box and know what I bought him. I didn't know what to do.

It wasn’t until I climbed into the car that I had an idea.

“So, what did you get me?” he teased, pretending to look in the bag.

“I bought you shoes,” I said matter-of-factly.

He scoffed. “Yeah, right.”

“Seriously, I bought you shoes.”

“Please. That would be the worst Christmas gift ever.”

“Look at the bag,” I said. “That’s a shoe box.”

“Very funny. You found an empty shoe box in the department store and hid my gift inside it.”

“You’re going to feel awful when you open your gift on Christmas and see I really did buy you shoes.”

He scoffed. “I’m sure I will.”

When I wrapped his gift, I put the slippers in the flattest box I could find. He saw it under the tree and felt triumphant. “I knew you didn’t buy me shoes. You could have at least put them in a box a shoe could fit in.”

“I did buy you shoes! They’re in the box!”

“You’re a terrible liar.”

On Christmas morning, he opened his gift. First his face lit up because he loves those kind of slippers. Then his face fell as he realized I did, in fact, buy him shoes, and he had made it very clear he didn’t want them.

“I am so sorry,” he said.

I couldn’t stop laughing. Best Christmas prank ever.


Don't forget about the Critique My Blog Blogfest coming up this February. Thirteen people have signed up so far, which I think is a great turnout. If you want to be critiqued by more people than that, you can spread the word by posting about it on your blog. 

3 comments:

  1. Quite a good prank. I like to prank Mrs. Chatterbox but I don't have the skills you have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister cut up a bunch of cardboard to make her boxes homemade this year...

    She got me two books in the same series. One was in a perfectly book-sized box, but of course I couldn't feel the binding, so I couldn't guess what it was. The other was in a box like a strange, giant flat-topped Toblerone. She spent the weeks before I got to open it saying "Toblerone was 3D first.":P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! That's cute. Maybe I should try that.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...