Friday, January 6, 2012

A Response from an Agent

A friend of mine told me it's okay to send agents reminders if they don't respond to a full within six weeks, and it's been two months. I was pretty nervous about doing this – I don't want to step on any toes – but my friend is experienced in the publishing industry, and I trust her.

The very next day, I got a response.

This agent has been my top choice for over a year. I like her for many reasons, but the biggest one is that she was the only agent to request a partial of my book when I sent out the first round of queries. I didn't resent that rejection. The book wasn't ready. Instead, I was touched that she was interested when no one else was.

Needless to say, when I saw she responded to my email, my heart stopped. I wanted to scold myself for getting overly attached, because what if she said no? I wanted to remind myself there are many fish in the sea. But in the end I squealed with joy and opened the email without hesitating for one second.

Click below to read her response.


Dear Teralyn

Thank you for your manuscript. Unfortunately, I did not feel the passion I need to be able to sell your manuscript in this difficult market and so will have to pass.

Please keep in mind that this is only one person's opinion.  

I wish you all the best in finding the right representation for your work.

9 comments:

  1. Oh, Teralyn, that's the worst... I imagine it must take such bravery to just put yourself out there and query... I'm sure you've heard it a million times before, but it seems that every author receives rejections before that one, wonderful yes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a feeling I know who this agent is. I have a rejection on file with the exact same verbiage. In my case, I worked with the agent for a year, changed my book to please her and she still said no. I'm sure you know that this is a numbers game you're playing. The more you send out your manuscript the better your chances. Having said that, agents are a nut I have yet to crack. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One door closed (for now), and many more have opened. Get out there and prove them wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw. Sorry.

    But you're right, there are many other fish in the sea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry you got the rejection, but that's one 'No'. You've got others to query and possibilities of a 'Yes'.

    I wish you luck as you continue seeking representation for this novel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No matter how many callouses you think you've built up on your writer's soul, no matter how many inspirational stories you hear about the hundreds of rejections successful authors got, no matter how many times you tell yourself it means you're one step closer to a yes, rejections just plain suck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cynthia, I couldn't have said it better. That's exactly how it feels.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry, Teralyn. It's a rotten place to be. It's usually a long, bumpy road until you get to that "yes," so fasten your seatbelt and keep driving.

    The only thing you can control is the quality of your writing and your professional behaviour. You deserve an agent who is totally in love with your manuscript, who's is in it for the duration. That kind of agent is worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What Cynthia said, absolutely. Rejections SUCK. And it will hurt for a while, but you'll eventually brush yourself off and keep going. Good luck <3

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...