Monday, January 2, 2012

Wanna Swap Blog Critiques?

I had a shock the other day. I went to check the stats on my blog and in one day, I had 3,745 hits.

Since this is 375 times as many hits as I usually get, I was pretty surprised.

Turns out someone posted an article of mine on digg.com. It was “Explorers Discover World’s Largest Cave,” of all things, which I published last February. I was thrilled at first, until I realized I only got one blog follower out of it.

It made me ask some questions. I can see how many hits I get on my blog, but how many of them are genuine? Quite a bit of my traffic comes from random advertising sites and image searches. Of the people who actually read my articles, how many read them all the way through? I know how many people decide to follow my blog, but how many people click on the site and decide not to follow me? Why are they not interested?

The thing is, I get a lot of positive comments, but no one tells me anything negative. I have no way of knowing how this blog really looks to other people. I feel like I’m shooting in the dark sometimes, wondering how far my words are reaching and why they don’t reach further. It makes me feel impotent.

This gave me an idea for a blogfest: you put your name in a linky list, and people go to your blog and critique it. They can comment the design, the content, the frequency, anything that springs to mind. You can specify whether you want to critiques to go in your comments where everyone can see them, or your email where they’re more private. On a specified day, you go to other blogs to critique them.

I don't know how many people will get into this, but it will be helpful to me if even only a few people signed up. If you’d like to participate, enter your name on the linky list below. I'll post more information about the blogfest in about an hour.

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to think about this. I look forward to more information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I found out about his via Margo Kelly's blog. A bit scary, but perhaps I will join anyways.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...