Monday, February 13, 2012

Origins Blogfest: How I Became a Writer


It’s my birthday! Coincidentally, I get to celebrate it at home in Portland. I haven’t been home in a year, and I’ve been unbearably homesick.

Today I’m going to participate in an awesome blogfest called Origins. For this fest, you write about how you first started out as a writer. I love telling this story, so I consider this fest a birthday treat.

My Origins

When I was eight years old, my grade-school teacher asked us all to write “a book.” We had to type them up, format the pages, illustrate them, and make a cover. When we were done, she got them bound.

My story – The Haircut – was about a girl who was jealous of her twin sister when she got a rabbit for Christmas. They fought over it until the jealous one threatened to cut her hair. (Their long hair was symbolic of their relationship, so this was a betrayal.) They made up and in the end, the girl got her own rabbit for Christmas.

(In subsequent books, the rabbits were kidnapped because they turned out to be aliens with magic powers. I did a lot of genre hopping back then.)

Instead of just letting us take the books home, my teacher had us put them on the shelves with all the other books. During story time, we could read what the other students wrote. My classmates would approach me and compliment me on my book. I decided, “This is so much fun, I want to do it for the rest of my life.” And I did.

The rest is history.

19 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, and great story. How cool to see your book on the school shelves like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great teacher. So many of us can point to a teacher for setting us on a path. Happy Birthday, and welcome home to Portland, whichever Portland you're at.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday to you,happy birthday to you, happy birthday Te-ra-lynnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnn *coughs*, happy birthday to .... YOUUUUUUU! *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! That is exciting for you. And your teacher sounds pretty freaking cool. I was a big reader and I had some cool teachers and not so cool teachers. But I still love writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday, Teralyn! And thanks for sharing your story. I love that it was that first book you wrote that inspired you to continue. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopping by from the bloghop :)
    Happy birthday!! And what a cool Origin story!! Glad you decided to keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet, sweet story! I love it! And that's very imaginative about the hair and the magical rabbits. I bet folks did love the story. Happy Birthday! :o) <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, so glad you got to go home for your birthday! Hope it's as sweet as your bunny story. Thea would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Again, yet more proof that awesome people are born in February. ;)

    My third grade teacher set me on the path to write.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Teralyn. I'm just stopping by as one of the blogfest co-hosts, and am now your newest follower. Nice to meet you!

    And Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a special ORIGIN! Happy Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this post! I was hoping I could shoot you an email... but was wondering if you'd be interested in guest blogging on my blog? Totally fine if you're too busy! Would love to link to you more (even though I already do all the time!).

    Keep up the great posts, love it!

    www.fishandfrivolity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. HAPPY BIRTHDAY :) May it be wonderful and special, I'll be sure to have a glass of wine for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the birthday wishes, everyone!

    Julz: Yay, I would love to guest post! let me know what you want me to post about: teralynpilgrim at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy birthday, Teralyn! I love this story!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy birthday! I love how you used symbolism in your writing at a young age. :)
    Great to meet you on this blogfest.

    your newest follower,
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. So cute! Alien rabbits and an Evil Twin!

    So cool you liked writing ~ and so you did. I like that kind of focus! Wish I had it.

    So glad I stopped in on the Fest!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome story!!!! thanks for sharing. I love hearing the two twins and the rabbit!:)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...