Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Books I Read in February

Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

In a mysterious circus that only opens at night, two magicians are forced to use the attractions as a competition. The contest is deadly, the contestants are in love, and the spectators don’t know what’s real and what isn’t.

This book reaches unparalleled levels of awesome. I was swept away into the magical world of the circus – it’s one of the most visually stunning books I’ve ever read. This is the kind of book I hope I have dreams about later!


(By the way, this was a Nanowrimo book.)

Peony in Love by Lisa See

This novel tells the true story of three famous Chinese woman writers from the point of view of a ghost.

“Peony in Love” is in my top 15 list of favorite books. It was beautiful, heartbreaking, mystical, and fascinating. Chinese death rituals are described by the person to whom they matter most: a ghost who needs her family to perform her rites in order to survive. She is able to influence the people around her – including the writers who this story is about – and through her struggles, she grows from a young girl to a woman.

Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel

In turn-of-the-century Mexico, youngest daughters can’t marry until their parents’ deaths; since Pedro cannot marry Tita, the youngest girl of the De La Garza family, he marries her sister in order to be near her.

This easy read is primarily about sex and food. (Surprisingly, it’s not as sexually graphic as you would think.) I enjoyed the magical realism and the deeply-felt Mexican culture expressed through Tita’s gift with food. But I liked the movie better.

Shanghai Girls by Lisa See

When war plagues Shanghai, Pearl and May escape to America to live in Los Angeles’ Chinatown.

One thing I love about Lisa See is that although she only writes about Chinese culture, all her books take place in a different area and time period. Each story is completely original. Since this novel is primarily American, it gave me a fascinating perspective into an aspect of my own history I was unfamiliar with: how we treated the Chinese during the Communist scare. I can’t wait to learn more in her sequel, Dreams of Joy.

6 comments:

  1. Night Circus sounds interesting. Maybe I'll give that one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound like fun! Night Circus is one I've wanted to read for a while. I'm glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard lots of great stuff regarding Night Circus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. will you be participating in this:
    http://www.facebook.com/scriptfrenzy?sk=wall

    (from Wikipedia) Script Frenzy is an international screenwriting challenge where participants attempt to write a script - usually a screenplay or stage play - during the month of April.

    Though screenwriting is not the same is novelwriting, it's still a form of writing

    ReplyDelete
  5. and the rules actually sound like it makes it fun:

    1. To be crowned an official Script Frenzy winner, you must write a script (or multiple scripts) of at least 100 total pages and verify this tally on ScriptFrenzy.org.
    2. You may write individually or in teams of two. Writer teams will have a 100-page total goal for their co-written script or scripts.
    3. Script writing may begin no earlier than 12:00:01 AM on April 1 and must cease no later than 11:59:59 PM on April 30, local time.
    4. You may write screenplays, stage plays, TV shows, short films, comic book and graphic novel scripts, adaptations of novels, or any other type of script your heart desires.
    5. You must, at some point, have ridiculous amounts of fun.

    or maybe its just the hype from being a contest

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the invite, but I don't have any ideas for a script and I wouldn't know how to write one if I did.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...