Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A Game of Sevens and an Excerpt from Sacred Fire


A blogging friend of mine – Brooke R. Busse at Paper Mountain – gave me The Lucky Meme challenge, and I'm excited to participate! She asked seven bloggers to do it and I have to ask seven more, etc.

The Rules:
  1. Go to page 77 of your current MS/WIP.
  2. Go to line 7.
  3. Copy down the next 7 lines – sentences or paragraphs – and post them as they’re written. No cheating.
  4. Tag 7 authors.
  5. Let them know.
This exerpt just happens to come from my favorite scene!

Background: Sacred Fire is about Roman priestesses who had to watch the perpetual fire of Vesta. The fire went out twice in recorded history; since the fire was supposed to protect Rome, both times created mass panic and the priestesses guilty of the neglect were put on trial. In this scene, the remaining Vestal Virgins are sitting in the temple in front of the dead hearth while they wait for the high priest to relight it. Tuccia, the MC, is only 12 and she's freaking out.

Calpurnia clenched her hands. “Shut up, shut up, shut up!” Tears gathered in the corners of her eyes. Seeing Calpurnia cry bothered Tuccia so much that she stuffed her fist in her mouth and forced herself to calm down.
The five vestals in their night clothes sat close enough for their legs to brush against one another. Tuccia didn’t know why she and the others stayed, but she knew they had to. Perhaps their instinct to watch the fire was too strong for them to abandon the temple until it was back.
Tuccia was in a daze and didn’t feel the time pass. Shadows shifted in the streets as the moon leaned to the west.

Now for the seven bloggers to join the challenge:

5 comments:

  1. Sounds intriguing! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very tense scene. Very nice writing, so very emotional.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teralyn:

    Thanks for tagging me. I post every other day so I'll work this up and post it on Friday. I like this portion of Sacred Fire, and if the rest is this interesting you should be able to find a publisher. Not an easy task, I know.

    CC

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your writing, Teralyn (as I knew I would!). And it does sound like a very intense scene. I do find myself wondering though if they used the term "shut up" then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great excerpt.

    Thanks for tagging me, I'll see what I can do next week :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...