Saturday, June 9, 2012

My Week as a Stay-at-Home Writer

As of today, I have officially been a stay-at-home writer for a full week (yoga pants and fuzzy socks included).


Life in the "real world" couldn't be better. I love my new apartment, I think I'm really going to like my church congregation, and my husband and I are finally going to replace our four-year-old phones. We bought dishes yesterday, the thick fancy kind with dark colors that only come in square shape and I'm terrified of breaking. I feel like an adult.


As for my artistic endeavors,  I'm not writing more than I did before because that was always a priority. Now I just have time to do other things too, like clean my house. I'm getting a real kick out of having dinner ready before my husband comes home. I'm like a Stepford wife, except I'm also awesome.


It still doesn't feel like I'm free living out my dreams; it just feels like a really long weekend. Part of me still thinks I'm going back to work tomorrow. It's weird how your whole life can change but you're still the same person.


I'm still trying to figure out how to schedule my days... ten hours is a looooong time to spend at home alone. We need to get a dog or something so that 5:30 pm doesn't find me with my nose pressed against the window waiting for my husband's car to pull up.


The fact that this is real didn't start to sink in until yesterday. I was at the laundromat waiting for my clothes to be done and went to the computer lab. Usually whenever I'm at the computer I zip through everything I need to do quickly because I don't have time to waste browsing. 


This time, I let myself read blogs for an hour. I haven't allowed myself the luxury of just reading blogs for fun in ages, and I forgot how much I loved it. This is a hobby I can put back into my life now.


It's such a little thing, but it made me really happy.

10 comments:

  1. I'm sure you'll catch the rhythm of being at home and eventually you'll be writing more than ever. I just returned from Turkey where there are so many Roman cities. I thought of you as I walked through examples of remarkable Roman engineering, still working after nearly two thousand years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so cool. But you do realise, if you do get a dog it will just be both of your noses pressed against the window at 5.30?!

    Good luck with it all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear you're having fun with your new lifestyle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I changed jobs and suddenly has 3 complete days free a week, it took me about 6 months to get out of that long weekend/holiday feeling. It sounds like you're enjoying yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coffeehouses and cafes are your friend. I'd often break up the middle of my day by going out to someplace I could sit for an hour, have tea, and edit a manuscript. If you go at around the same time everyday, you'll see the same people there and often strike up friendships too. Extra credit: if you can walk there, then you get exercise too.

    I have a routine in the morning where I walk about two miles, end up at my favorite cafe, work for about half an hour on my iPad, then go home and begin in earnest.

    Trust me, ten hours won't feel very long soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on the lookout for a cafe/bookstore now. Haven't found any good ones yet, but I'm sure they're around.

      Delete
  6. I just switched from working full time to part-time (where I get to work from home and make my own hrs) so I totes understand! I feel like it will take me to get used to the transition too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like heaven to me! I just found your blog on the Nanowrimo forums. I love your writing style and am looking forward to following along here on your blog. Good luck during Nano!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...