Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Books I Read in July

Bridge of Scarlet Leaves by Kristina McMorris

Maddie elopes with a Japanese man shortly before the start of World War II. When he is taken away to an evacuee camp, she is determined to go with him, regardless of the cost.

I loved this book. My favorite romances are the ones when the lovers will sacrifice anything for one another. One of my favorite aspects of this book was the broad expanse of American experiences the author depicts. It's a comprehensive - as well as tragic and uplifting - look at what Americans of all races went through during WWII.

(This has nothing to do with anything, but I've mentioned in previous posts my dilemma in describing sex scenes. This novel is exactly what I was looking for. The scenes were brief yet satisfying, tasteful yet emotionally charged. I'm going to use this book as my standard from now on.)

A New Orleans Voudou Priestess by Carolyn Morrow Long

The most famous voudou priestess who ever lived has always been shrouded in mystery. In this work of nonfiction, Long pieces together what facts we do have to find the truth about Marie Laveau.

Writers often try to depict Marie Laveau the way they want to see her, at the expense of the truth. This book, on the other hand, supports every single fact with a reliable source, without pushing any vendettas. It's the best book on Marie Laveau I've read so far.

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut

This classic novel is a bitter yet humorous look at the folly of mankind and the pointlessness of life.

I don't get the point in writing about how life is pointless, but whatever. Vonnegut's other famous novel, Slaughterhouse Five, is one of my favorites, so I was disappointed that Cat's Cradle just didn't speak to me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...